Public Policy Lead, Midwest Region
About the role
We’re looking for someone to join the U.S. Public Policy & Communications team as a Public Policy Lead. This role is based in Chicago, IL and reports directly to the Senior Director of Public Policy & Communications for the US, North. The role will cover Chicago, IL and other states across the Midwest. As a Public Affairs Manager, you will work with policy makers and third parties to make the positive case for change. You’ll foster lasting relationships with key stakeholders to help unlock the full potential of our technology. You will also be responsible for managing public relations strategy. You’ll create and implement issue-based campaigns to achieve our priorities.
- Strengthen Uber's brand and profile with policy makers, elected officials, third parties and media.
- Develop Uber's legislative and political strategy throughout the region on Uber Rides, Uber Eats, Uber Health, grocery delivery, transit, etc. This includes tracking legislation relevant to Uber at the municipal, county and state levels.
- Establish deep relationships with top-tier regional press and third parties while also focusing on widening the bench of our media contacts to include consumer, lifestyle, travel and food press.
- Build a communications narrative that demonstrates the regional impact of our businesses.
- Work to ensure that the regulatory frameworks in the region enable the benefits of Uber for our customers and the cities we operate in.
- Prepare, update, and prioritize messaging to respond to issues.
- Partner with government and third parties on innovative transport solutions.
- Partner with business leadership to support sustainable growth of Uber’s mobility and delivery businesses.
- Support and work closely with Uber’s Policy, Communications, Legal, Mobility, and Delivery teams.
- Manage a team of external policy and communications consultants.
- 7+ years of relevant professional experience ideally within the State of IL and/or City of Chicago
- Strong campaigner: We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers, eaters, and drivers who use the app. That means you'll have a bias for action in everything you do, and also building strong intuition for business, covering issues related to mobility, delivery, safety, future of work and/or automation.
Self starter: We are a company of entrepreneurs, and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Things change fast at a global company like Uber so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure.
Expert advocate: We want someone who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. This person should write well and have the creative ability to tell stories--about our product, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for riders, drivers, delivery people and cities.
Collaborative teammate: Success at Uber depends on the ability to coordinate different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. We look for collaborators who can get stuff done--and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally.
For Chicago, IL-based roles: The base salary range for this role is $133,000 per year - $147,500 per year.
You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We’ve grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, Uber recommends all US- and Canada-based employees to be vaccinated in order to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company’s discretion.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada