Engineering Manager II – Developer Experience (Amsterdam)
About the Role
Uber is looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team within our Developer Experience group. As a manager within Developer Experience org, you will have a significant impact on how Uber engineers develop platforms and products. Our mission is to make transportation as reliable as possible, and we are looking for people who are eager to build a highly reliable developer platform and tools that supports this mission.
What You’ll Do
- Directly lead an engineering team passionate about delivering world-class experiences.
- Partner with engineering teams, help see opportunities, gather requirements, and build a technology roadmap for the team.
- Recruit, encourage, and grow impactful engineering teams.
- Mentor and support people in their career growth.
- Enable successful adoption of solutions delivered by the team and contribute to open source/industry-wide initiatives.
- Manage team’s upstream and downstream dependencies across offices.
What You’ll Need
- 5+ years managing global cross-functional engineering teams through technical leads in a hyper-growth environment.
Experience supporting team actively via career mentor & development, handling performance & conflicts, and influencing cross-functional teams.
A strong ability to architect and design robust, high-scale systems and to challenge engineers to think bigger and more generically in developing their solutions.
- Experience going through the full software cycle from requirements, design, coding, testing, continuous integration, delivery, and ongoing management of world-class software and services.
- You have experience with building platforms and developer tools or similar technologies and influencing adoption across groups and industries.
- Programming experience in either Golang, Java, Python, or C# and/or cloud-native/Kubernetes knowledge.
- You have an open, curious, and ambitious approach to problem-solving and striving for the best solution.
- You have a proven track record of assessing new technologies and making pragmatic choices that help guide us toward a long-term vision.
- Master or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
About the Team
The Developer Experience team is pushing the boundary of what’s possible to make engineers forget about infrastructure and focus on crafting incredible solutions for our customers. Developer Experience comprises several key areas: Developer Tools, Build Platform, Testing & Chaos Platform, Continuous Integration, and Continuous Delivery. If you enjoy enabling other engineering specialists to be productive, discussing anything from developer tools to kernels and you measure the success of your projects in “nines”, we would like to talk to you.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We’ve grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company’s discretion.
\* Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada