Sr Counsel - Privacy & Cybersecurity
About the Role
Uber is changing the world, and we're looking for a Senior Counsel on Uber's Privacy & Cybersecurity Legal team to help us do it. This role will work closely with teams throughout Uber, including Legal, Product, Security, Engineering, Marketing, and Advertising, to build privacy into our products and features, drive compliance with data protection laws globally, and maintain a culture of privacy within Uber!
What You'll Do:
- Drive privacy-by-design and -default throughout Uber's product development process
- Partner with Uber's advertising, marketing, engineering, and legal teams to support Uber's direct marketing efforts and third-party ad publishing program
- Advise Uber product and engineering teams regarding data privacy and cybersecurity requirements, best practices, and Uber's Privacy Principles
- Track and research developments relating to new and pending privacy and data protection laws, including the GDPR, CCPA/CPRA, and other U.S. state laws; translate that into practical, effective advice; and lead compliance efforts relating to these laws
- Negotiate privacy requirements in third-party agreements
- Create and present engaging company-wide trainings regarding data privacy and security requirements and standard methodologies
- Drive awareness among the Privacy and Cybersecurity team regarding cutting-edge legal and business developments, and lead team morale and collaboration efforts
- Contribute to our ongoing mission to make magic in the marketplace, and drive Uber's efforts to be a trusted steward of our users' personal data in every market where Uber operates
- J.D. and license to practice law in at least one state
- Minimum of eight (8) years of legal experience, five(5) years focused on privacy and/or cybersecurity law
- Proficient in global privacy and data security requirements, particularly GDPR and U.S. state privacy laws.
- Knowledgeable regarding ad tech industry, and experienced advising regarding privacy and cybersecurity requirements relating to marketing and targeted advertising.
- The ability to juggle multiple projects at a time in an exciting, fast-paced environment, both collaborating as a team to stay in sync and working independently to get the job done.
- Superior analytical and legal skills, mature judgment, innovative thinking, and a desire to take the initiative and think two steps ahead.
- CIPP certification
- Embody the highest standards of integrity, ethics, and accountability.
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
For New York City-based roles: The salary range for this role is $227,000 per year - $252,000 per year. You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award, commissions & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details can be found at the following link https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, Uber recommends all US- and Canada-based employees to be vaccinated in order to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada