Head of Direct, Japan
#GreatMindsDon'tThinkAlike At Uber, we take pride in our diversity and working environment that sees you as more than just a person that can do the job, but a unique individual that can level up our organization with a perspective only you can offer. Uber provides a truly open culture that encourages all to voice their thoughts.
About the Team
Since launching in Japan in 2016, Uber Eats has become deeply rooted in the local food culture, both shaping and celebrating it, and helping small and large businesses connect with customers 2022 brings a new chapter of the Delivery story, our vision is to 'deliver anything, to anyone, at anytime' and our goal is to make Uber a daily essential in people's life.
#GoGetIt embodies the attitude and mindset of Delivery at Uber. We need to ensure that we are growing all sides of our marketplace (merchants, driver partners), so that we can provide the best customer experience possible for our consumers, as well as facilitating growth and earnings for our merchants and drivers.
About the Role
Since 2020, Delivery at Uber has grown tremendously on the back of increased demand caused by the pandemic at the same time as we have expanded into new use cases and verticals like Grocery, Alcohol, Pick up and more. What has also become clear is that merchants across all categories have also increased their investment and interest in their digital and delivery offering. In many cases same day or next day will not be adequate as customers demand for immediate delivery is growing.
Without having their own on-demand logistics capability, merchants are looking for a partner who can fulfil the requirement for last-mile delivery. With millions of drivers and couriers providing on-demand logistics through our existing marketplaces around the world, Uber Direct is a newly launched product that allows all merchants, who want to leverage a vast network of delivery partners, to do so and fulfil the on-demand last-mile-delivery service for orders on their own app and websites. Uber Direct has the potential to be our next multi-billion dollar business and is an important requirement for our existing marketplace partners.
Uber Eats is looking for a business leader to drive growth for Uber Direct in Japan managing the business end-to-end. You will be responsible for designing a winning strategy and defining the go to market plan, while leading a sales team responsible for closing the right partnerships, at the right commercials, and growing those businesses through best-in-class acquisition and account management. You will also lead an operations team to ensure continuous improvement for our Direct partners operations.
This role calls for a well-rounded combination of strategic thinking, sales and commercial skills, operational excellence and leadership. We operate in a fast paced environment, so we are looking for a highly adaptable candidate who is able to pivot between long-term strategic initiatives one moment and rapid, tactical actions the next.
Your Impact in Role
- Go-to-market Strategy - Identify, and define what our growth strategy should look like over the short and longer term.
- Sales/Account Management - Closing the best partnerships with the right merchants, while driving growth and financial sustainability with our merchant partners, with a commercial team
- Operations Management - Identify process inefficiencies, build solutions, and drive operational efficiency. Collaborate with cross-functional teams for resource allocations and launch readiness.
- Team Management - Lead a team to achieve ambitious growth targets. Work closely to influence a broader range of local, regional and international stakeholders to remove blockers and deliver your growth, and financial goals.
- P&L Management - Own the commercials for the Uber Direct business: building a sustainable path.
- Leadership - Sit on the Japan Uber Eats leadership team, having a strong voice in driving strategy, operational excellence, talent, community and culture, as well as sponsoring and leading various initiatives across the wider business.
The Experience You'll Bring
- Leadership - ability to rally and motivate a team behind a common goal, even in rapidly changing situations and disruptive environments. The dispersed nature of your team in this environment requires a leader capable of building focus, resilience and trust in their teams.
- Problem solving & operational excellence - a constant appetite and ability to analyze complex situations using a vast range of inputs, drawing simple conclusions and translating them into actionable plans. We operate with imperfect data in a rapidly changing environment, and need a leader capable of translating cross-functional inputs into logical conclusions and simple plans.
- Sales and commercial acumen - ability to build creative commercial strategy, and leading a team of people to close quality deals under intense competitive pressure. We are looking for a leader who understands our partners motivations, is capable of navigating difficult commercial conversations and can coach their team to deliver on sales targets and on the operational excellence goals expected from our partners.
- Business acumen - ability to link our business performance metrics and P&L with our team's actions on the ground. This role is responsible for tight P&L management, which requires a strong understanding of our unit economics and the key drivers of our revenues and costs.
- Business proficiency in Japanese and English
What's in it for you? Culture & benefits
Uber's culture and values are at the core of everything we do, so that our employees can better understand who we are and what it's like to work at Uber today. We pride ourselves on the amazing team we've built. The driver behind all of our growth, our bold and disruptive brand, and the game changing technology we bring to life is the people that make Uber, #OneUber.
Doing your best work means being your best self. We offer a wide range of benefits and perks that are uniquely Uber to support your health and wellbeing. These benefits have been designed with #OneUber in mind, supporting the whole you and the way that you work best.
- You will receive monthly Uber credits to use against the full value of Eats, Rides and Grocery (anything you can order in app) plus a 17% discount (which exists even when your credits expire).
- Family comes first, and our paid parental leave (18 weeks full pay) is accessible for all new parents from day 1 (with no tenure requirement). New parents at Uber will also receive access to Cleo, flexible return to work options, and additional Uber credits during their period of leave (because let's face it, who wants to cook with a little one around?)
- Reset, Refresh and Recharge: we have a generous unlimited paid leave policy, providing paid leave in addition to the statutory annual leave (excluding certain roles in the CommOps org).
- Personal health and wellbeing - depending on location, you can access a healthcare plan or reimbursement for a plan of your choice up to a nominated value. You will also receive a monthly wellbeing allowance to use throughout the year across a range of items including; gym / fitness memberships, mindfulness apps, fitness equipment, ski passes and more. We also provide Employee Assistance Programs (EAP) that connect you to resources & support.
- Uber has always been a flexible organisation and COVID has only amplified this. Our global policy is 50% of time in office, we provide the opportunity to work for one month a year in another Uber location and employees can apply to be fully remote if you think that's best for you. These opportunities are tailored to specific individuals, roles and teams.
- When you are in the office, we have an amazing range of facilities accessible for all Uber employees. Our dedicated facilities teams host regular events and opportunities to connect, as well as arranging the food program; catered lunch / breakfast (location dependant) and you'll find our kitchens fully stocked with a variety of healthy (& not so healthy) snacks & drinks.
- Based on the combination of business needs and personal interest, we provide language learning support so you can improve your English or Japanese, through our carefully vetted vendor partner. This will include both 1:1 private coaching lessons, group learning sessions, as well as online learning.
Unsure if this role is the right fit for you?
We encourage you to review the details of the job role and imagine how you can impact not only our organization but the world using your unique talents. We reimagine the way the world moves for the better. Even if you do not fit all of the criteria for the role, we welcome you to apply to explore opportunities within Uber.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.
- Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada