Director of Business Development, APAC
Uber is a technology company that is transforming the way the world thinks about transportation and reinventing the way we move people and things. We are building technology that people use every day. Whether it's heading home from work, having a meal delivered from a favorite restaurant, or offering an opportunity to earn extra income; Uber is becoming part of the fabric of daily life.
We're making cities safer, smarter, and more connected and we're doing it at a global scale by energizing local economies while bringing opportunities and solutions to millions of people around the world.
This is a unique opportunity to be a member of the Uber Business Development Organization. As Director, Head of Business Development for APAC, you'll have the opportunity to shape and deliver a plan to scale usage of the Uber platform (mobility and delivery) among millions of consumers in the region.
Your responsibilities will include leading the Business Development team for APAC and driving the necessary business relationships at the C-level partners to establish partnerships that:
- accelerate the growth of Uber users
- increase supply available on the Uber platform
- increase Uber's profitability and
- accelerate Uber's payments and platform strategy.
We need a highly strategic, analytic, creative, and driven leader with a demonstrated track record of negotiating, executing, and managing high-value partnerships with large, complex, and global partners, spanning both private and public sectors. You'll be on the frontlines generating new business development opportunities for Uber while maintaining and expanding existing ones. To succeed in this role, you will need a keen sense of responsibility, initiative, and an ability to inspire. You should feel comfortable working autonomously and in a team environment.
Successful candidates will bring a dynamic combination of IQ and EQ, an ability to think strategically and execute tactically, and strong interpersonal skills to maximize value in partnership negotiations. Someone who enjoys managing multiple deals in a complex but exciting environment, and is willing to put their energy to build long-lasting partnerships with high profile companies and unlock significant growth for Uber.
Essentially, a business-oriented strategist and negotiator with a sense of responsibility and initiative, capable of building partnerships to support a variety of high-priority Uber initiatives and who is comfortable working autonomously and in a team environment.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with APAC cross-functional leadership to formulate strategy and identify how to drive extraordinary impact to business priorities through business development activities.
- Pursue, evaluate, support negotiations, and ensure execution of top business development opportunities in the region while working with key internal stakeholders (e.g. product, engineering, operations, legal, etc.).
- Lead business development from a cohesive lens across multiple domains: vehicles, financial services, safety, risk, payments, media, events, airports, travel, public transportation etc.
- Set, track, and report on partner performance metrics and give business reviews to Uber's C-level management team regarding progress in the business development space.
- Handle a high volume of engagements and the fast pace of our company.
- Support in the development of long term, mutually beneficial relationships with senior executives of current and prospective partners.
- Lead a strong BD team across the APAC region and help with career development.
What You Will Need
- Around 20 years of experience in business development with exposure to the tech industry, management consulting, investment banking, private equity, or corporate M&A experience - we will consider candidates with less experience if they meet our other requirements.
- Experience with establishing, maintaining and leveraging C-level relationships at partner companies and extensive senior-level relationships with business leaders across multiple industries including technology and mobility.
- Analytical skills with ability to combine business, strategy, finance and legal concepts to lead complex, multi-faceted deals.
- Experienced in cultivating, negotiating, and growing business partnerships. Strong leadership development skills to manage and hire A level talent in the APAC region.
- Strong interpersonal skills that allow you to build trust and negotiate with partners, and adeptly manage the cross-functional coordination (product, local operations, engineering, finance, legal) required to implement deals.
- Adept at building and delivering presentations.
- Adaptability to change within a fast-paced corporate environment.
- Undergraduate in Economics, Business, Engineering, or another quantitative focus area. MBA or equivalent highly desired.
Leadership and Management
- A passion for excellence with the ability to inspire others to the highest standards through leading by example
- Committed to attracting and retaining the brightest minds from all backgrounds, while cultivating the power of a diverse organization.
- Inspires teams to accomplish goals and objectives; responds quickly to complex situations to problem solve, while effectively working across the organization
- A strategic forward-thinker with a participatory management style and team-building skills
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to influence decision making without having formal authority. The successful candidate will have the maturity and empathy to resolve potential issues when working with multiple personalities.
- Responds quickly to complex situations to problem solve, while effectively working across the organization.
- Credibility and gravitas to garner the respect of the executive team, People team, as well as other stakeholders.
- The successful candidate will bring, through past successes, immediate credibility as an extremely capable business leader and expert.
- Able to balance the role of the strategist with urgency while simultaneously managing delivering results in a growing and very fast-paced environment.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.
- Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to email@example.com
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada