Software Engineer II - iOS
About the Role
If you are interested in making a direct impact to the company's bottom line, join the Ad Tech team. Uber is on track to spend hundreds of millions of dollars in marketing in 2021. A 10% improvement in ROI on this spend saves the company hundreds of millions of dollars and directly speeds up the company's path to profitability. Help us build the software systems that will make this happen. The team is still in its early stages, so you can drive products from inception to adoption and further iterations.
As an iOS engineer/Architect on the Adtech - Mobile team, you will be architecting the iOS modules on our core Uber apps which are used by riders and eaters across the world. As an early engineer in the team, you will have opportunities to lead and influence and put the foundation for some of the core marketing and privacy facing features. You will be enabling the large scale mobile events and data sets that are critical and foundational to Uber to make decisions for better customer experience. You will be working on the frameworks, libraries and SDKs used by Uber's large mobile development community. Help us build the software systems, libraries & data that will enable data scientists to understand our user behavior better and thrive on the data driven mindset at Uber.
What You'll Do
- Implement native user interfaces with the latest iOS technologies. Contribute to the iOS monorepo on core Uber flows enabling a variety of new experiences related to marketing use cases.
- Bazel, Native iOS, Swift, RXSwift, Dependency Injection.
- Lead/contribute to engineering efforts from design to implementation, solving complex technical challenges around AdTech
- Design and build frameworks that work with data at scale and power many larger features on our mobile apps
- Analyze and decompose complex software systems and collaborate with cross-functional teams to influence design for ease-of-use, scalability, and testability
- Work closely with Product Engineers, Data Scientists and Research teams
- Play an active role in shaping up the roadmap and vision for the team.
- Collaborate with different program teams working on our applications
- Mentor other engineers and continue building a strong culture of quality
- Help build consensus by being open to a variety of viewpoints and aid in bridging a gap in case of a disagreement
- Strong written, verbal communication skills; ability to influence others within your team and outside your team
- Ship efficient, reliable, crash-free code that reaches millions of users.
- Ensure your mobile applications perform and scale in production.
- Champion best software engineering practices such as continuous integration, delivery, and deployment.
- Take a lead role in the team's technical design choices.
- Write quality code and documentation which can be used as the example for your company.
What You'll Need
- BS/MS/PhD in Computer Science, Engineering or a related field with at least 5 years of experience working with the iOS platform (Swift)
- Excellent fundamentals in software engineering
- Ability to collaborate and communicate with a globally distributed team to help discover gaps in our frameworks, tooling, and infrastructure and help drive solutions
- Experience analyzing a feature in production using analytics and experimentation
- Strong focus on high-quality mobile sdk experiences
- Proficient in object oriented programming, multithreading, networking, memory management and source control management (git)
- Experience working with product management and design teams.
- Experience in efficiently collaborating on projects
- Experience with writing, releasing, maintaining mobile applications
- Strong written, verbal communication skills; ability to influence others within your team and outside your team.
- Attention to detail, particularly around software engineering fundamentals, testing methodologies and quality.
- Fast learner: We’re looking for software engineers who thrive on learning new technologies and don’t believe in one-size-fits-all solutions. Should be able to adapt easily to meet the needs of our extensive growth and constantly evolving business environment.
- A great teammate: Believe that you can achieve more on a team — that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. You rely on others' candid feedback for continuous improvement.
- Design and entrepreneurial acumen: Understand requirements and business use cases beyond the written word.
Bonus Points: If you have full stack experience , web or backend development experience!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world. We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit come work with us and let's move the world forward, together.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We’ve grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let’s move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber’s cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company’s discretion.
\* Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada