Decision Scientist - Risk
Uber's Risk Team is at the forefront of one of the world's biggest challenges. Every day we process millions of mobile transactions in over 75 different countries, while also issuing driver-partner payouts on a weekly, and in some cases, a daily basis. As we grow and rapidly expand our transaction base across emerging products, we face new and interesting situations that many companies have never encountered. Our goal is to deliver innovative risk management across Uber's marketplaces to maximize legitimate revenue and sustainable growth.
About the role
We're looking for a Decision Scientist to join the team to apply a data-driven approach to identify, understand, and scope emerging fraud trends (including payment fraud and marketplace risk) on the Uber platform. In this role, you'll be part of and work closely with a cross-functional team consisting of engineers, product managers, operations, and other data scientists and analysts. This role will be responsible for key performance metrics such as fraud losses, false positives, and operational efficiency. You will require a mix of business and technical acumen and also cross-functional skills to communicate with various internal and external partners.
What You'll Do
- Perform analysis to understand Risk / Fraud behaviors, contribute to fraud detection features and models
- Build and maintain fraud rules in response to evolving fraud behaviors
- Extract insights from the large volumes of data and come up with new strategies to mitigate/stop fraudulent activities
- Build a deep understanding of the Risk data, reporting, and key metrics
- Participate in project definition and idea generation, work on collaborative projects with partners across the globe with a focus on the Risk/Fraud mitigation
- Effectively communicate and present findings to the management team to strengthen business decisions
- With guidance from manager, define and develop area of expertise
- Attend regular training courses, functional business review meetings, and all-hands
- Stay highly engaged and always hustle as Uber Risk is a very fast-paced environment
- Minimum 1 year of experience in a data-focused role such as product analytics, business analytics, business operations, or data science
- Advanced degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, Economics or other quantitative field
- Experience with data analysis and visualization tools, such as Python, R, Tableau
- Proficient at defining, utilizing and communicating performance metrics
- Proven track record of applying analytical/statistical methods to tackle real-world problems using big data
- 3+ years of experience in a data-focused role such as product analytics, business analytics, business operations, or data science
- Risk/Fraud/Payments experience
- 3+ years of SQL experience
- Prior work with Hive, Spark, and other big data tools
- Experience in experimentation, A/B testing, and statistical modeling a plus
- Creative problem solving, strong critical thinking, and a get things done mentality
- Hands-on and attentive to detail
- Comfort with ambiguity and the ability to work in a self-guided manner
- Passion for Uber!
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Offices continue to be central to collaboration and Uber's cultural identity. Unless formally approved to work fully remotely, Uber expects employees to spend at least half of their work time in their assigned office. For certain roles, such as those based at green-light hubs, employees are expected to be in-office for 100% of their time. Please speak with your recruiter to better understand in-office expectations for this role.
Uber is committed to a safe workplace. We have implemented COVID-19 safety protocols that meet or exceed local public health guidelines. Workplace safety remains our number one priority. As a result, and depending on the workplace location, Uber either requires* or recommends employees be vaccinated to access any of our facilities; this is subject to change solely at the Company's discretion.
- Accommodations may be available based on religious and/or medical conditions, or as required by applicable law. To request an accommodation, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada