Staff Software Engineer
About the Role
Observability is a space that has grown beyond just monitoring. At Uber, we provide a centralized, reliable, and interactive Telemetry platform including metrics, logging and tracing that empowers engineers to work quickly and confidently at scale.
The tracing team, one of the core parts of the telemetry platform, is responsible for providing an end to end distributed tracing solution (Jaeger), driving adoption and integration with thousands of micro services within the Uber engineering ecosystem. In addition to large distributed system challenges, the team also works on trace correlation with metrics, logging, as well as providing aggregated insights like deep dependency graphs, critical path analysis etc., to provide a holistic observability and production debugging experience for Uber.
We're an agile team with diverse backgrounds from companies such as Google, Microsoft, Amazon, LinkedIn and other startups. We dream big, aim high, and practice grounded execution. Come join our team to solve tough large scale distributed system challenges and raise the bar of distributed tracing for Uber.
What the Candidate Will Do
- Design system architecture, own key components to deliver distributed tracing solutions for Uber.
- Join on call rotation, driving continuous improvements on system availability, scalability, performance and efficiency.
- Provide technical leadership, influence fellow engineers and role model solid engineering practices.
- Collaborate with other infrastructure teams, production engineer team and product manager to drive adoption and best practices, and to design and implement high impact, cross-product features.
- BS or higher degree in Computer Science, or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Proficient in one or more backend languages, like Java, Go, C/C++, C#, with the ability to pick up new ones quickly.
- Strong problem solving skills, with relevant experience in designing and implementing large scale distributed backend services
- Proven record of building and operating highly reliable distributed systems at scale.
- This role requires a lot of organizational alignment and consensus building - excellent written and verbal communication skills is a huge plus.
- Experience with OpenTelemetry, and/or building and operating monitoring infrastructure at large scale. E.g. PB sized ES clusters, Prometheus, Kibana, Grafana, Jaeger, etc.
- Batch and stream data process pipeline experience is a plus.
- Passionate about pursuing technical excellence and mentoring engineers.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Diversity & Inclusion