Principal Engineer - Uber AI
About the Role:
Leads efforts within the organization to drive the innovation, development and maintenance of UberAI's machine learning efforts.
Uber is on the lookout for top-notch software engineers to join and drive innovation on Machine Learning Platform (Michelangelo) team. This role involves building and managing robust distributed systems, and solve infrastructure challenges to empower Uber's product engineering and data science teams with latest technologies in large scale Artificial Intelligence.
The Michelangelo team works on building end to end ML systems and upleveling ML quality at Uber. You will be part of a team of strong software and systems engineers, executing in a fast paced environment. For more information on the Michelangelo Machine Learning Platform, see our select blog posts:
- Meet Michelangelo: Uber's Machine Learning Platform
- Productionizing Distributed XGBoost to Train Deep Tree Models with Large Data Sets at Uber
- Michelangelo PyML: Introducing Uber's Platform for Rapid Python ML Model Development
- Continuous Integration and Deployment for Machine Learning Online Serving and Models
- Meet Horovod: Uber's Open Source Distributed Deep Learning Framework for TensorFlow
- Elastic Distributed Training with XGBoost on Ray
About the Team:
- Design and deliver software and tools as part of our state-of-the-art Machine Learning platform.
- Systems architecture design, including management of upstream and downstream dependencies.
- Provide technical leadership, influence and partner with fellow engineers to architect, design and build infrastructure that can stand the test of scale and availability, while reducing operational overhead.
- Drive efficiencies in systems and processes through automation: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- Participate in periodic on-call rotations and be available for critical issues.
- Collaborate with platform, product and security engineering teams, and enable successful use of infrastructure and foundational services
- PhD or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field AND 4-years full-time Software Engineering work experience
- OR 8-years full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 4-years total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, or Go)
- Scalable ML Infra Knowledge
- Experience in building and managing distributed systems and high-throughput services.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Experienced production user of Deep Learning frameworks such as Apache SparkML, XGBoost, Ray, Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, etc.
- Experience in managing dependencies in data science packages.
- Experience in high performance computing.
- Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership coupled with collaboration and leadership.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Diversity & Inclusion