Software Engineer I - Maps & Marketplace
New York, New York | Seattle, Washington | San Francisco, California | Sunnyvale, California | Boulder, Colorado | Toronto, Ontario
About the Team
The Maps and Marketplace Dynamics are central pillars to Uber's core mobility and delivery products. As the central brain of the company, we are the decision makers that make moving from point A to point B possible for every trip or order that Uber serves, from UberX to Eats, to new verticals such as grocery and last mile delivery. We handle all the logic from determining where to go, predicting how long a delivery might take, to travel time estimates for potential dispatches.
The Maps team owns all aspects of solving geo-spatial problems at Uber. From ensuring high quality data for our road network, traffic, and locations to routing, traffic, and search, engineers are at the heart of the Uber ecosystem. The Map team's job is to ensure that every trip is efficient, safe, and is an incredible experience for riders, drivers, and couriers across the planet.
At a high level, the team is solving variations on the traveling salesperson problem at scale in real time. At any given time, we have tens of thousands of live rideshare trips, delivery requests, and earners looking for work in a city. Our jobs are to write software that identifies who is the best driver to complete a given request, how to batch trips or orders together that have similar routes, and when the best time is to make this decision.
Solving these hard challenges creates many exciting problems around how to search the problem space, how to get to a near optimal solution quickly, and how to scale this process out to run in the scale of seconds! To do this, our team uses a wide variety of innovative technologies.
- Formulating and solving many classic graph based problems using innovative techniques
- Using statistical forecasting methods to create demand and supply replenishment models
- Applying neural networks and deep learning to improve predictions on problems such as food preparation times
- Using machine learning methods such as XGBoost to generate end to end delivery time predictions and model customer and earner behavior
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience (graduating no later than 2022)
- Experience with one of the following programming languages: Java, Go, C/C++, Python. Good scripting skills and ability to pick up new ones.
- Systematic problem-solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis
- A desire to join a team that delivers impactful results every day
- Passion for building distributed systems at hyper-scale
- Projects, internships, or club work related to mobile is a plus
- Grit, drive, and a strong sense of ownership coupled with an appetite for collaboration
- A dedication to writing understandable, maintainable, and reusable software
Please refer to this role on our careers page for more details on your total compensation and benefits package. You can get there by clicking 'apply' if you're not already on our careers site.
For Colorado-based roles: The salary/hourly rate range for this role is $112,000 per year - $124,000 per year. You will be eligible to participate in Uber's bonus program, and may be offered an equity award, commissions, & other types of comp. You will also be eligible for various benefits. More details about our company benefits can be found at the following link: https://www.uber.com/careers/benefits.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Diversity & Inclusion