Backend Software Engineer II
About the role
Engages with stakeholders across teams to lead the development and maintenance of backend services and solutions to support user-facing products, downstream services, or infrastructure tools and platforms used across Uber.
About the Team
The Automation Platform (Flow) is building Uber's marketing technology foundation and ecosystem that empowers Uber's Products, CRM, and Marketing to create complex automated solutions rapidly and visually. The platform is processing 2B events every day and executing thousands of workflows, batch jobs, and 1.5B actions every week. The team's work lays the foundation for Uber's business growth as 90% of marketing communications and campaigns are built on top of it. If you are passionate about designing and building extremely reliable, highly scalable, and performant multi-tenant services that never fail, this is the right group for you.
We are looking for backend engineers to work on one of the three areas to scale the platform to the next level:
- Core: build large-scale real-time event processing and batch processing engine to orchestrate business workflows. Achieving five-nine availability, zero data loss, low end-to-end latency for billions of events is the goal.
- Ecosystem - create a booming ecosystem around marketing automation, including metadata service, permission management, attributes/events marketplace, self-serve, drag-n-drop user experience, etc.
- XP & Personalization - build cutting-edge technologies to facilitate the end-to-end process of orchestrating personalized marketing campaigns and continuously optimizing campaigns using automated experiment analysis.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field OR 1-year full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 1-year total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas
Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, or Go)
- Note the 1-year total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The year of specialized experience is not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
- Distributed systems
- Experience with shipping complex software systems scaling to millions of users.
- Experience with developing services using Kakfa, Redis, Cassandra, MySQL, etc.
- Experience with building and maintaining large-scale and/or real-time complex data processing pipelines using Flink, Hadoop, Hive, Storm, etc.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Diversity & Inclusion