Staff Software Engineer, Marketplace
About the Role
Engages with stakeholders across teams to lead the development and maintenance of backend services and solutions to support user-facing products, downstream services, or infrastructure tools and platforms used across Uber.
About the Team:
Marketplace services are the key building blocks of the Uber ecosystem that provides reliable and efficient transportation & logistics needs of our LOBs such as ridesharing, eats, groceries, pharma, bikes, trucks, and easy grocery to millions of customers.
- The trip fulfillment platform, in particular, is the system of record for managing the state & behavior for all realtime trips at Uber like Drivers, riders, couriers etc. This system is the heart of realtime trips and a trip cannot be completed if any part of the fulfillment stack goes down.
- The Fares Platform supports nearly 100B+ number of fares requests per month responsible for $80B+ in Gross Booking (GB) per year across Uber. Fares Platform plays a crucial role in providing fares estimations and calculations to Upstreams such as Fulfillment, Hippo and Downstreams such as Money, Tax and Receipts teams for post-trip activities. Fares Platform is enabling new fares solutions and unlocking new opportunities by scaling faster than ever. The goal is to serve our customers in a faster and scalable way with reliability as our top most priority.
- Matching Platform is responsible for Rides Dispatching; from availability and requesting a product to when the trip starts. Matching decides when to match and who to match, while influencing Riders' choices, to drive marketplace efficiency. The mission of the team is to increase trip throughput, with low wait times, for every Rides product at Uber.
Pricing Engine computes one all-in rider and driver prices for product sessions that enables Uber to maximize business objectives (price leadership, GB, VC) while providing transparent information to both riders and drivers.
If the reliability of marketplace services fail, this has a direct impact to our end-users. Uber will not be able to provide a Magical User Experience with reliable (ETAs, EDTs, Completion rates) and defect free sessions (reduce defect rate).
The Mobility Infra & Reliability Tools team builds infrastructure and tools that help marketplace services prevent outages, deliver products defect-free, detect & mitigates outages.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
Build infrastructure and reliability tools to
- Eliminate product defects by preventing, correcting, or drawing attention to human errors as they occur
- Provide delightful journey for our end-users through defect-free user sessions
- Define & measure reliability for key products, features, and services across all engagements
- Establish best-in-class software release engineering practices that enables Mobility Organization to deliver products and services reliably and safely at high velocity.
---- Basic Qualifications ----
- PhD or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field AND 2-years full-time Software Engineering work experience OR 5-years full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 3-years total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, or Go)
- Note the 3-years total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The years of specialized experience are not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
- Distributed systems
- Product engineering
- Scalability engineering
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Diversity & Inclusion