Sr Applied Scientist
About the Role
Latin America Central Operations is the muscle that enables Uber's mobility business in the region, generating economic opportunities for over 1 million drivers and helping more than 30 million riders reach their destinations.
Data science advises or needs to inform much of this work. From models to experiments, operations benefit from scientific precision and technical difficulty.
As a member of the Data Science team for the region, you will embed in an Operations team to craft and deliver data science products that improve the scientific difficulty and precision of your team's operational work.
What you'll do
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and optimization, and work with engineering/product to productionize those algorithms and build impact in production
- Drive transparency and take on ambiguous, meaningful business problems using data-driven approaches
- Propose and guide the framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions
- Establish standard methodologies for data science including modeling, coding, analytics, and experimentation
- Demonstrate data to understand product performance and to identify improvement opportunities
- Design product experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and impactful conclusions
- Connect with senior management and multi-functional teams
- Provide recommendations to assist quick product conceptualization and feature launch decisions
- Build intelligent data-driven products to provide the best user experience
What you'll need
- Ph.D., M.S., or Bachelors degree in a quantitative field, 5 + years of experience.
- Knowledge of the mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, analytics, and experimental design
- Experience with exploratory data analysis; statistical analysis and testing; and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python to work efficiently at scale with large data
- Proficiency in languages and tools like SQL, Hive, and Spark
- Proficiency in English
- Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
- Sophisticated experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments) as well as causal inference
- Experience working in a fast-paced operations environment
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada