Associate Counsel, Employment - APAC
About the Role
We're looking for an enthusiastic lawyer to join our APAC Employment Legal team to support and help lead our growing businesses across the Asia Pacific region.
This is a once-in-a-career opportunity to join a global legal team integral to a company engaged in cutting edge technology and focused on solving some of the biggest challenges in the world - including changing the way regulators, courts and legislators think about the future of work. This role can be based in any of our APAC offices. The position will report directly to the APAC Head of Employment Legal based in Sydney and will work closely with the APAC Employment Team.
What You'll Do:
- Identify and resolve employment related issues regarding Uber's business and its relationship with users of the Uber App.
- Handle and advise on litigation disputes and employment litigation.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues in tax, regulatory legal, product developers and policy and communications team to pre-empt employment law risks related to Uber's business, and proactively find solutions to those issues.
- Work with the business and colleagues in legal, tax, policy and communications as we explore new modalities across the region.
- Advise Uber's HR team on the full range of employment matters relating to recruiting, hiring, training, performance management, compensation, benefits, and terminations in APAC.
- Prepare and conduct training for HR and the business on various employment related topics such as conducting investigations, performance management and award related matters.
- Draft, review and negotiate a wide range of employment documents, including employment contracts, restrictive covenant agreements, assignment letters, separation agreements and policies and handbooks.
- Partner closely with HR and internal audit on a variety of projects, initiatives, investigations and risk management.
- Project manage global employment projects for APAC.
What You'll Need:
- 2-5 years of employment law experience at a reputable firm and/or in-house with a focus on employment law in at least one APAC country. Employment litigation a plus.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Confidence in operating in a fast-paced environment.
- Aptitude for driving efficient and strategic use of resources, including other support functions, in-house counsel, vendors and external counsel.
- Inquisitiveness, along with the ability to spot issues, get to the heart of the matter, and articulate plans to address them.
- Collaborative approach with both business and legal groups, with a strong ability to build relationships, gain credibility and partner with others.
- Passionate about your work and a desire to have a big impact.
- Keenness to learn about employment law across the Asia Pacific region.
- Strong project management skills and an ability to coordinate stakeholders for project input.
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada