Sr. Software Engineer - Storage (SRE)
About the Role
We are looking for talented engineers to join the Storage team whose mission is to develop and manage the database platform storing the majority of the operational data at Uber. We develop infrastructure which helps run Uber's large scale database deployments in an automated fashion and dynamically scale it to the business needs while ensuring that highest levels of reliability and uptime are achieved
--- What the Candidate Will Do ----
- Own backend systems such as our in-house sharded MySQL solution Docstore, MyRocks and other infrastructure components necessary to deploy and run databases at scale
- Develop and maintain current as well as next-generation storage infrastructure that is core to Uber's business.
- Write maintainable and extensible code with high quality tests and documentation for the Control Plane and production automation to help manage large scale database deployments.
- Debug production issues, develop capacity plans and work on improving performance and efficiency throughout the stack
- Collaborate with others, both from Storage and from application engineering teams, to ensure that the infrastructure we are building works seamlessly and best serves application engineers.
- Share an on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for Storage platform incidents
---- Basic Qualifications ----
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.)
- 3+ years software development experience.
- Experience implementing complex projects with multiple dependencies.
- Experience coding with Go, Java, C++ or Python.
---- Preferred Qualifications ----
- Production experience in configuring and operating large scale database deployments (for example MySQL)
- Knowledge of distributed systems. For example, you know the tradeoffs of different sharding and replication strategies; you can reason about data consistency in a distributed environment.
- Experience analyzing, monitoring, and troubleshooting large-scale, high-traffic distributed systems
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada