Public Policy Manager, California
About the role
Our Policy & Communications team tells Uber's story to the media, third parties, and government officials - whether it's transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; supporting restaurants during COVID lockdowns, or; cutting congestion in cities by getting more backsides into fewer cars.
Reporting to the Head of Public Affairs for the West, as a Public Policy Manager for California, you will lead Uber's government relations and third party engagement strategy across the state, leading local campaigns, and supporting media engagement across the region.
- Partner with government agencies, state and local leaders, regional 3rd party organizations and coalition partners on shared public policy goals.
- Work to ensure that the regulatory frameworks in the region enable the benefits of Uber for our customers and the cities we operate in.
- Develop and implement campaign and policy strategies to advance key initiative and company priorities.
- Work cross-functionally with Uber's Operations, Legal, Marketing and Social Impact teams.
- Manage a team of external lobbyists and communications consultants.
- Prepare, update, and prioritize messaging to respond to issues.
- Represent Uber at legislative and regulatory hearings.
- Track legislation relevant to Uber at the municipal, county and state level.
- 5+ years of relevant professional experience
- Bachelor's Degree
- Strong campaigner: We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers and drivers who use the app. That means you'll have a bias for action in everything you do, and also building strong intuition for business, covering issues related to mobility, delivery, safety, future of work and/or automation.
- Self starter: We are a company of entrepreneurs, and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Things change fast at a global company like Uber so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure.
- Expert advocate: We want someone who can distill complex ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. This person should write well and have the creative ability to tell stories--about our product, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for riders, drivers, delivery people and cities across California and the western United States.
- Tell our story in the press: Experience developing and implementing a public relations plan and working directly with counterparts in print, digital and broadcast media.
- Collaborative teammate: Success at Uber depends on the ability to coordinate different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for collaborators to get stuff done--and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally
- Comfortable being uncomfortable: On our team, you will be encouraged to handle ambitious topics with emotional intelligence and integrity in a fast paced environment
- Past experience in the political and policy landscape in California is a plus.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada