Software Engineer (Storage)
About the Role
As a Software Engineer on the Storage team, you'll develop a next-generation storage access layer interfacing between Uber's business-critical applications and the underlying scalable storage systems.
You will be owning fleets of storage servers and will be responsible for the service they provide be reliable and performant.
This is a unique opportunity to combine a deep knowledge of distributed and database systems with an understanding of infrastructure and a passion for making developers happier and more productive in working with such systems. You will have a profound impact on how Uber engineers build applications accessing various Storage systems.
What You'll Do
- Design, lead prototyping and development, test and roll out the next generations of our infrastructure at Uber, meeting high standards of performance, reliability, and usability.
- Build tooling for automated, self-healing systems to keep them operational at web-scale.
- Collaborate with others, both from Storage Platform and from application engineering teams, to ensure that the infrastructure we're building works seamlessly across different storage backends and best serves application engineers.
- Mentor more junior engineers, guiding their work and supporting their professional development.
- Contribute to enhancing the team's technical and organizational culture; serve as a role model to others.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, etc.) and/or 3+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Have worked with multiple programming languages. We use Go, Java, and Python.
- Experience in at least one of scalable storage and developer tooling.
- Experience working with databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about building systems that are both powerful and easy to use.
Nice To Have
- Experience in both scalable storage and developer tooling.
- Experience with large scale distributed systems.
- Experience building systems used by a large number (1000s) of engineers, whether internal or external.
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada