Engineering Manager II - Order Platform
About the Role
As an Engineering Manager on the Order Platform team in Brazil, you will be a member of Uber's Tech Center in LATAM! We would like someone to be instrumental in hiring and mentoring engineers passionate about technologies to improve the lifecycle of all orders at Uber around the world.
About the Team
Uber's Commerce Processing engineering team works on maintaining and improving the infrastructure for orders and payments that enables all lines of businesses across Uber to conduct business. All commerce in and out of Uber flows through these critically important systems. In 2020 this meant processing over 6.9 billion trips with $65 billion in gross bookings. With strict 4 9's availability requirements, this is one of our largest scalable systems and the complex day-to-day interactions require careful coordination from engineers that have a deep sense of quality, security, and ingenuity.
The Order Platform sub-team owns the lifecycle of all orders (ridesharing trips, freight loads, eats orders, etc.) from beginning to end. As a critical central platform, we straddle the line between infrastructure and product in such a way that we tackle deep technical challenges, at scale, in problem domains that are specific to Uber's business.
What You'll Do
- You will lead a team of software engineers to deliver outstanding order solutions
- Partner with customer teams, help see opportunities, gather requirements, and lead a technology roadmap and vision for the team
- Develop systems and software to bring outstanding solutions to one of the largest scalable systems at global Uber
- Provide technical leadership to build, develop and scale the team
- Recruit, encourage, and grow a top notch engineering team
- Mentor other engineers, build a strong culture of quality, handle disagreements well and help finding consensus.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology etc.)
- Technical skills that include high scale distributed systems, streaming, solid fundamentals of at least one programming language like Java, Go, or Python and good understanding of data-structures and algorithms
- Experience as a technical leader and manager for at least 4+ years and significant experience building and operating critical high-scale systems
- Management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate thoughtfully, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and constructive feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results
- Collaborate with engineering teams, product and business to come up roadmap, plan and implement projects
Nice to have
- Background with payment systems or financial technology
- Experience building high performance, scalable distributed systems using technologies like Kafka, Hadoop, Hive, or Zookeeper
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world!
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have a curiosity, passion and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together!
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada