Sr Software Engineer (Architect), Backend- Compute, Foundations and Cloud team
About the Role
The Compute, Foundations and Cloud team works on core components on which all other systems at Uber are built on. We power the infrastructure brain that runs all of Uber.
As a Sr Software Engineer, you will drive some of the most complex technical initiatives end-to-end to help Uber run across multiple public clouds and private data centers in most effective and seamless manner.
About the team
The Infrastructure team is a platform engineering team. It develops tools and solutions for the rest of the Uber engineering team.
Uber Infrastructure, an engineering ecosystem consisting of hundreds of thousands of machines supported by an organization of hundreds of engineers, powers these connections and the software requests that fulfill them in real-time. With multiple products being leveraged by millions of drivers, riders, eaters, businesses, and vehicles, infrastructure is the manifestation of the very scale and clock speed of Uber. Since our infrastructure undergirds every single request that Uber handles, the scale of Uber Infrastructure's challenges match the size of Uber itself. Similarly, the pace of software development at Uber is a function of how effectively our infrastructure exposes the foundational tools and resources engineers use to build and power customer-facing features, from estimated time of arrival (ETA) prediction on Uber Eats to the seamless matching of carriers and shipments on Uber Freight.
The Compute, Foundations and Cloud team in the infrastructure team works on core components on which all other systems at Uber are built on. We power the infrastructure brain that runs all of Uber. With increase in product offerings , geographical reach and number of users , infra systems and platforms have a challenge of attending a greater height every day. Infra org at Uber leverages both on-premise and cloud partners for these kind exponential scale needs. By combining the strengths of both on-premise and cloud we will get flexibility of better geographical reach , more options to experiment through PAAS offerings and will be always better equipped to mitigate unforeseen situations.
We are starting a Cloud team from scratch in India. This team will be responsible for creating next generation cloud platforms and software solutions.
We are looking for strong senior infrastructure engineers to drive and shape the technical roadmap and execute large initiatives end to end.
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
- Serve as project architect, understanding stakeholder needs and trade-offs of various options, and making significant improvements in quality, reliability, scalability, or stability. Assist in the roadmap definition for your area.
- Demonstrate technical skills to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leverageable solutions.
- Define, plan and execute complex and impactful projects. You communicate the vision to peers and stakeholders.
- Domain resources to engineers outside your team and help them leverage the right solutions. Facilitate technical discussions and drive to a consensus.
- Coach and mentor less experienced engineers and deeply invest in their learning and success. You give and solicit feedback, both positive and negative, to others you work with to help improve the entire team.
- Lead the effort to define the best practices in your immediate team, and help the broader organization establish better technical or business processes.
---- Minimum Qualifications ----
- 6+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or related fields
- Proficient with any of the languages : Go, Java or C++
- Detailed problem-solving and knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis.
- Experience with IAAS , compute and storage
- Experience with Cloud providers (AWS, GCP, Microsoft Azure)
- Knowledge or Experience with inner workings of Linux, containers (Docker, contrainerd),cluster management technologies (e.g. Mesos, Kubernetes), or virtual machines
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada