Sr Data Scientist - Core Analytics & Science
The Core Analytics & Science Team (CAS) is Uber's most extensive data science organisation, covering both of Uber's main lines of business as well as the underlying platform technologies that power those businesses. We are a vital part of Uber's cross-functional product development teams, helping to drive every stage of product development through data analytics, statistical, and algorithmic expertise.
The team at Bangalore, India, will host an entrepreneurial attitude that will focus on the rapid experimentation of ideas to expand the product portfolio for Uber. This team is regarded as one of the top-performing DS teams across Uber. This team is working to bring a customer-centric experience to our riders, at par with the Uber experience that they have come to expect. We are looking for a high-performing Data Scientist to make significant contributions to our mission. A deep analytical passion for learning and the ability to execute on key business priorities is a must.
As a Data Scientist for the team, you will play the significant role of helping define the product vision and deliver it from the ground up by working with a very fast-paced and passionate group of high-performing Data Scientists, Applied Scientists, Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, and Ops Managers. You will be responsible for leading the charter and their roadmap. People with an entrepreneurial bent of mind, independent analytical thinking, rapid hypotheses building, testing hypotheses using experimentations, building machine learning/deep learning models, and apply causal inferences to aid the team make an informed decision and deliver high business impact.
What You'll Need
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, economics, and analytics.
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development.
- Fluency in SQl, Hive and Spark.
- Strong Experience using Python or R and SQL/Spark and working efficiently at scale with large data sets.
- Experience in building and evaluating algorithms and optimizing the Ml model in production environments.
- Proven experience of 5+years in the relevant field.
- MS or Bachelors degree in Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative fields.
What You'll Do
- As a Data Scientist, you will work closely with product management, engineering and operations teams to own data science in driving Uber's product roadmap for Mobility Growth and New Verticals (e.g. High Capacity Vehicles, Micro Mobility, Rents) globally.
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and optimisation, and work with engineering/product to deploy those algorithms and create impact in production.
- Drive clarity and solve ambiguous, challenging business problems using data-driven approaches. Propose and own data analysis (including modeling, coding, analytics, and experimentation) to drive business insight and facilitate decisions.
- Leverage data to understand the product performance and to identify improvement opportunities.
- Design product experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and impactful conclusions and communicate with senior management and multi-functional teams
- Provide recommendations to assist quick product ideation and feature launch decisions and build intelligent data-driven products to provide the best user experience.
- Generate ideas for exploratory analysis to shape future projects and provide recommendations for actions
- PhD, MS or Bachelors degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 5+ years of industry experience required)
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimisation, economics, and analytics
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis, and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Proficiency in languages and tools like SQL, Hive, and Spark
- 5+ years of industry experience working as a data scientist or similar
- Tech lead experience is a plus
- Experience solving ambiguous business problems at scale
- Experience with Causal inference techniques to evaluate the causal relationships with variables
- Experience building production-level machine learning and deep learning models
- Advanced expertise in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments)
Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems**
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities worldwide.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, colour, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability or particular need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada