Manager II, Engineering - Uber for Business
About the Role
We're looking for an Engineering Manager to join our team in the Bay Area to help build our next-generation corporate experience products. You'll lead and work with many major product & platform teams at Uber to build enterprise grade solutions and differentiated experiences for our corporate clients.
About the Team
Uber for Business (U4B) is Uber's strategic focus on enterprise business and the Employee Products vertical (Eats & Rides) is one of the fastest growing verticals in the organization. We build solutions for our corporate users in the travel and eats space.
Under the Uber for Business Umbrella, Employee Products builds products, services, and experiences that empower organizations to grow their business. More specifically, we are the backbone of the end to end enterprise consumer experience with engineering challenges that range from building core services for our profiles, policies, etc. to more greenfield experiences, such as new UberEats offerings only available to businesses.
To give you a sense of the impact of our work, we unlocked the ability to create group orders, split the bill, set automatic deadlines, schedule orders from closed restaurants, and more. Our features are used by millions of users (business & consumer) and robustly built for true Uber scale. Our vision is to be the market leader in the enterprise eats space as we plan to scale to millions of enterprises around the world.
In the next 1 year, this team will be innovating in the areas of developing new product offerings for our enterprises small, medium, or large and re-envisioning a differentiated business experience for our customers. Our team is highly cross-functional and works closely with other teams, such as Rider and UberEats, which means you'll flex your abilities to coordinate multiple stakeholders to build sophisticated end to end features.
We are a tight knit group of passionate and hardworking engineers, designers, data scientists, product managers, and account managers. We pride ourselves on our collaborative and open culture. Visit Uber for Business to learn more.
What you'll do
- Lead, manage and grow a team of customer-focused software engineers
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers on your team, and continuously improve software engineering practices
- Own the craftsmanship, reliability, and scalability of your solutions
- Take the larger vision or challenge and distill it down with the leadership team into strategies and plans including trade-offs required to realize the vision.
- Collaborate with and across teams to design, build, and ship great experiences for our customers
- Hire top performing engineering talent and maintaining our dedication to diversity and inclusion
Bring a passion to stay on top of industry trends, experiment with and learn new technologies
- 5+ years of experience developing software as an individual contributor engineer.
- 3+ years of frontline experience managing a diverse set of candidates (full-stack, frontend, backend, mobile), across various technologies.
- Outstanding technical skills in backend or full stack: Uber managers can lead from the front when the situation calls for it.
- Strong management and team development skills - ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and honest feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results.
- Strong track record of executing and delivering business critical projects.
- Experienced in team building, interviewing and hiring senior and junior engineers to grow the team.
- Good interpersonal skills and strong experience in collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- A passion for crafting user-facing products and experiences.
- Significant experience in designing and operating critical high-scale systems.
- Good software engineering methodology -- significant and deeply-rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs.
- Expertise and interest in growing teams -- interviewing junior and senior engineers, collaborating with a recruiting team, smoothly onboarding new team members.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber