Sr Software Engineer (Architect), Backend - Global Scaled Solutions (GSS) Tech
About the Role
GSS (Global Scaled Solutions) team is looking for Senior Backend Engineer who has solved business problems at scale. GSS team drives scaling of products & business processes across Uber. The mission of GSS Tech team is to provide the best-in-class engineering solutions for Uber's operations. These solutions enable GSS to deliver high value, quality & efficiency, and ultimately be a competitive advantage for Uber.
We own systems that intelligently match people with tasks they need to perform, ensuring high quality and speed of work. We produce purpose built solutions that allow to visualize and update very complex data sources in easy and intuitive ways.
- You will be responsible for designing and maintaining various systems aimed at scaling operations through tech, with focus on automation and efficiency
- You will be working in a highly fast paced collaborative environment, working beyond functional, organisational and geographical boundaries
What the Candidate Will Need / Bonus Points
---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
- Work on Truly unique set of problems. The nature of Uber's business imposes a distinct set of constraints that cannot be found elsewhere.
- Work with empathetic, smart and motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- You'll be working on mission critical projects that are visible both inside and outside of Uber & creating Impact.
- Solving challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms. We move fast and build things that have never been built before.
- An eye for automation & experience in creating systems aimed at enabling automation of manual workflows
- Experience building distributed systems with high throughput and low latency. You take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
---- Basic Qualifications ----
- Backend development experience in Java, Go or equivalent languages
- Experience in designing large scale systems with focus on good abstractions, extensibility & availability
- Engineers with at least 6+ years of relevant experience building highly-scalable distributed systems. You have advanced knowledge of at least one programming language (Java, Go, C++) and at least basic knowledge of one or more of the following technologies: Kafka, NoSQL & relational databases, Redis, etc.
About the Team
Global Scaled Solutions is the organization that powers Uber growth for multiple verticals (Rider, Driver, Eats, ATG, Maps, Labeling for Machine Learning and more). We do this through developing solutions comprised of sophisticated tools, robust work orchestration and enablement via our operational capabilities.
Our tools are pushing the boundaries of what is possible to do in the browser. We render tens of thousands editable objects at high refresh rate. We communicate to multiple backend services and control work execution flows to allow regular people to perform tasks that required deep professional expertise in the past.
We deliver solutions that are being used by real people to do mission critical changes or have deepest insights into complex processes. Think of configuring magical experiences to have rider and driver meeting at the expected time in the safe and easy to access point, food arriving fast, so it can be enjoyed the way it was intended to or ML models being trained to offer helping hand when it's needed. We are involved in all of the above and more!
While working on the individual experiences we were able to distill lots of insights that we are forming into highly connected and extendable ecosystem where experiences weaved together as a seamless workflows.
But there are so many things to do, therefore we need you as a part of our team.
Uber Engineering is a high-performance culture marked by fearlessness and smart-productivity. We're looking for a smart Engineer who can work harder, faster, and smarter, while taking technical excellence to a whole new level.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber