Senior Performance Engineer, System Hardware
Uber Metal provides TCO optimized, high quality and reliable hardware and cloud infrastructure to support the technology stack that supports Ubers diverse applications across Mobility, Deliver and Freight
Hardware performance is a key attribute used to derive TCO optimized hardware for Uber infrastructure platforms such as compute, storage, data and machine learning. This role will involve ensuring that we are meeting or exceeding our target performance metrics across these platforms by owning every aspect of hardware performance including benchmarking, system tuning, and optimization
---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
- Own the architecture and development of the framework (hardware and software) required for execution of benchmarks with different configurations, parsing and storing results and post processing results for analysis and visualization
- Drive the roadmap and features for the performance benchmarking framework to align with requirements of stakeholders for next generation hardware and/or changes in software ecosystem within or outside Uber ex - operating systems, kernels, toolchains, compilers and other open source packages
- Work with internal stakeholders across compute, storage, data and machine learning and analyze workload performance on different hardware configurations, recommend tunings and optimization strategies to improve performance
- Engage with application developers to architect and develop standalone synthetic code routines that mimic production workloads in the benchmarking setup
- Proactively identify and root cause performance bottlenecks in applications running in production by analyzing performance metrics
- Participate in internal and external industry events to learn and adopt new techniques and tools that can benefit the performance of Metal hardware infrastructure
---- Basic Qualifications ----
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Hands-on experience working with server systems including functions such as setting up networking, boot, out of band monitoring, operating systems, and application packages
- Proficient in one or more of the following areas from performance and benchmarking perspective: CPU microarchitecture (based on x86, Arm etc) or Storage subsystem or Memory subsystem
- Fundamental understanding of the various software components such Linux kernel, compilers, Java etc. Experience with container environments, databases, HDFS a plus
- Experience with using one or more open-source or vendor application tools such as flamegraph, linux perf, iostat, vmstat etc.
- Hands on experience with setting up with Benchmarking suites for cpu , storage, memory and ML ex - specCPU2017, specJBB, MLperf
Ability to script in Python, Bash or equivalent language to
build performance benchmarking automation
---- Preferred Qualifications ----
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Proficient in all of the following areas from performance and benchmarking perspective CPU microarchitecture (based on x86, Arm etc), Storage subsystem, Memory subsystem
- Deep understanding of Linux kernel components, including tuning strategies to get best performance for different hardware architecture.
- Proficient in Bash, Python or equivalent language
- Developed and submitted open source tools, packages for performance analysis, monitoring using tools such as perf
- Multiple examples of prior experience with root causing complex performance issues seen in applications running on a variety of hardware
- Ability to create dashboards, write SQL to analyze large amounts of performance data a plus
- Presented and participated in industry forums on server and application performance
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber