Counsel, Safety & Insurance Litigation, US Northeast
The Insurance Litigation team oversees and manages litigation and claims arising out of Uber's insurance policies. In doing so, the team works hand-in-hand with our insurance partners and outside counsel to drive solutions and innovate. The Insurance Litigation team also works across Uber's business teams, from operations to safety, to evaluate and manage risk.
About the Role
Insurance for drivers and riders is a critical part of our business, and we are constantly innovating in this area. The Uber Legal Team is currently searching for a Safety & Insurance Litigation Counsel, with expertise in the insurance defense industry and experience managing robust insurance defense litigation. This position is open to the Chicago office when we return back to the office.
What You'll Do:
- Manage a portfolio of claims and litigation in the Southeast Region
- Provide guidance to outside counsel on case strategy
- Draft and review various court documents such as pleadings, discovery, and motions
- Work across our business and legal teams on risk management initiatives
- Collaborate with team members for operational efficiency and process revision
- Partner with the global insurance law team on insurance coverages and regulatory efforts
- J.D. and license to practice law in at least one state
- Minimum of 4+ years of legal experience in private practice and/or in-house
- 5+ years of insurance company or law firm experience involving litigating claims/cases arising from Property and Casualty Insurance
- In-house experience strongly preferred, with the know-how to manage a case through pleadings, motion practice, discovery, dispute resolution and trial
- Solid case evaluation abilities, critical thinking skills and the capacity to oversee a large portfolio of matters
- First chair mediation or trial experience preferred
- Deposition experience (including presenting witnesses)
- Strong academic credentials and law degree from a top law school
- Joint JD/MBA holders preferred
- Possess excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills
- Enthusiasm about Uber!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber