Engineering Manager II - Core Storage
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a team of talented engineers within the Core Storage org. As an Engineering Manager, your team will lead next generation storage access layer interfacing between Uber's business-critical applications and the underlying scalable storage systems including cache, databases and object storage.
This is a unique opportunity to combine a deep knowledge of distributed storage systems with a passion for making developers happier and more productive. Your team will have a profound impact on how Uber engineers build applications accessing various storage systems.
---- Basic Qualifications ----
- Bachelor's degree or higher in an engineering field (e.g. Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology etc.)
- Experience as a technical leader and manager for at least 5+ years
- Great leadership skills but also deeply technical - strong understanding of technical architecture, system design, and problem solving acumen
- Management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and transparent feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results
- Experience hiring and developing a team
- Experience building and operating critical high-scale systems
- Good software engineering methodology: meaningful and deeply-rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs
- Passion about your team's mission and the self-starting personality to make things happen
---- What the Candidate Will Do ----
- Experience in leading teams who build large-scale distributed storage systems
- Experience with cloud storage offerings e.g. DynamoDB, Spanner, S3 or GCS
- Experience with running and maintaining large scale infrastructure
- Experience with building high performance, scalable distributed systems using technologies like Redis, Kafka or Zookeeper
- Have proven track record working across a larger organization not just across teams
- Lead a team of talented software engineers to deliver scalable storage solutions
- Work with stakeholders and cross-functional teams to lead planning and execution through a full product cycle
- Partner with engineering teams, help see opportunities, gather requirements, and help shape the technology roadmap and vision for the team
- Hire high-quality engineering talent, manage and develop your team
- Build an influential culture of engineering excellence maintaining the balance and tradeoff between feature development and managing tech debt
- Develop an operational model to achieve operational excellence for engineering and product metrics
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber