Data Scientist - Core Services, Litigation, and Regulatory
About the Team
The Core Services Analytics team provides analytical insights and solutions for critical cross-company functions and processes that each affect how we show up in the world for our customers, including Safety + Insurance, Customer Focus, and Payments, Risk, and Identity. As a Data Scientist in the Core Services organization, you get to use your quantitative skill set, obsession and empathy towards customers and collaborative spirit to work closely with Product, Ops, Engineering, and Data Scientists to provide data driven insights to find new opportunities to take our product and business to the next level
About the Role
We're looking for a data scientist to join our Safety and Insurance Data Analytics team to provide data expertise and leadership as we work to make this world a safer place to move around. In this role, you will need to have a proven foundation in analyzing data, relating it to business problems, and presenting analytic results with a broad range of audiences around the company in a clear and actionable fashion. This role offers frequent interactions with a cross-functional team of engineers, product managers, lawyers, regional operations teams, and other data scientists and analysts.
What You'll Do
- Support Uber's rapidly growing and unique safety and insurance operations
- Build and own periodic reporting of the ever-growing amount of data we have at our fingertips to help stakeholders all over the world manage and improve our operations
- Perform deep-dive analyses to discover root causes for safety issues and changes in trends
- Collaborate cross-functionally across technical and non-technical partners to identify and improve safety-related processes
- Present findings to senior management to drive business decisions
- Anticipate the analytic needs of stakeholders and work with business partners to surface the appropriate information
- Develop a deep understanding of what safety means on the Uber platform globally across different modalities
- Work cross-functionally related to our data preservation and retention policies
- M.S. or Bachelors degree in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist or equivalent)
- Advanced SQL expertise
- Basic understanding of experimental design (such as A/B experiments) and statistical methods
- Ability and experience in extracting insights from data, and summarizing findings/takeaways
- Experience with Excel and some dashboarding/data visualization (i.e. Tableau, Mixpanel, Looker, or similar)
- Advanced degrees in Math, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Operation Research, Machine Learning or other quantitative field
- Exposure to working with data in a support of regulatory or legal efforts.
- Experience with Hive, Spark, and other big data tools a plus
- Experience with experimental design and statistical methods
- Ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with partners coming from both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Strong judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making skills
- Ability to tackle complex business problems that cross multiple product/project areas and teams
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada