Technical Lead, Backend (Observability & Reliability)
About the Role
As an engineer on the observability application team, you'll help build the next-generation of observability experiences that are used by every engineer at Uber to develop, scale, understand and monitor their systems in an environment with over 4000 microservices, hundreds of thousands of CPU cores in multiple data-centres and the cloud, and hundreds of thousands of concurrent trips around the world! The key areas that the team is working on are:
- Uber's alert configuration and execution engine that provides real-time alerting for Uber services. uMonitor as a product also serves as a cohesive entry point/observability portal for our engineers to discover observability golden signals and help investigate outages across the observability toolset.
- Our dash-boarding and visualization tools, which display context-sensitive information from across the Uber ecosystem, enabling quick detection and mitigation of issues
- Build a brand-new platform for service level agreements and engineering metrics that helps engineering leadership as well as engineers monitor the long term health of their organizations and team and improve how software is built and delivered at Uber
What You'll Do
- Design, deliver and maintain systems that enable thousands of engineers and managers to improve the reliability of their services, apps and processes
- Collaborate with product managers, data science and other stakeholders to gather requirements
- Partner with fellow engineers to architect, develop and scale observability tooling while keeping operational issues in mind
- Mentor and support your fellow teammates
- Drive ongoing efficiency and reliability improvements that improve the quality of the systems.
- Write clear documentation so that other engineers can partner to contribute and deliver
- 6+ years experience in systems software engineering
- Sound understanding of computer architecture and CS fundamentals
- Proficient in one of the following programming languages: Go, Java, Python, C/C++
- Experience in developing of infrastructure tooling
- Deep understanding of different database types (relational, key-value, columnar, time-series)
- Experience in using the Go or Python programming language
- Experience in managing large-scale infrastructure
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber