Sr Software Engineer II
About the Role
The Search Platform team at Uber is building the next generation Search Engine (SIA) to cater to all Search and Relevance use cases across Uber
As a senior engineer on the team, you will define and build the capabilities to be built into the search engine and scale the platform to support various mission critical use cases from around the company.
What You'll Do
As a Sr. Software Engineer, you will:
- Lead cross-functional initiatives working with multiple internal customers.
- Design, develop and support a world-class search platform serving a wide variety of use cases.
- Envision, design and deliver operational automation and tooling to allow our internal customers operate their infrastructure with confidence.
- Help build infrastructure for the next wave of growth, including building customized components to solve Uber specific problems and evolve the technology for hyper growth.
- Produce high quality code that is robust, efficient and maintainable; our primary languages are Java and Go.
- Work at the core of Elasticsearch and Apache Lucene open source software with opportunities to contribute to open source.
- Work on challenging problems in areas such as relevance ranking, data ingestion, data storage, query optimization, JVM performance optimization, security, machine learning and more.
- Continually challenge what exists and explore what should be changed to best meet our business needs.
- Possess expert knowledge in large scale distributed system design and engineering best practices.
- Participate in setting a vision and objectives for a search platform in alignment with market opportunities.
- Drive and work on algorithm and architecture design, execute and deliver fault-tolerant systems.
- 8+ years experience producing high quality large-scale software
- BS or MS in Computer/Information Science or Engineering
- Expertise in one or more object oriented programming language (e.g. Java, Go, Python, C++)
- Experience with building scalable production services with strict SLAs
- Experience with developing complex software systems scaling to millions of users with production quality deployment, monitoring and reliability.
- Ability to decompose co
- Experience with large-scale distributed search and storage systems (e.g. Elasticsearch, Apache Lucene, Apache Solr, Kafka)
- Complex business problems
- Experience implementing projects with multiple dependencies
- Experience with Search, Information retrieval, and Ranking
- Experience with Machine Learning
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber