Senior Manager Applied Science - Uber Freight
About the team
Uber Freight solves the most challenging problems related to movement of goods across transportation logistics networks. We work on products that make every part of transporting via truck seamless from end-to-end, such as personalized recommendation and search, acquisition funnel, growth and dynamic pricing, shipper pricing and matching, and much more. A freight network is complex and we make every strategic bet based on data.
Are you interested in working at the intersection of data science, analytics, applied quantitative research, and product development? Do you have an interest in leading and growing a top-notch applied science team at Uber, a company known for using data as a differentiator? If so, this is the job for you. Uber Freight supports a two-sided marketplace between shippers who send loads across geographies and carriers who haul them.
This role will be focused on 2 domains that make up the backbone of Uber Freight (1) Carrier, spanning growth, onboarding, user experience, conversion, and retention, and (2) Network, spanning our Supply/Demand balance framework, and a slew of products that optimize the freight network to reduce empty miles. This domain is a critical piece of Uber Freight's success.
What You'll Do
As the Manager on the Carrier and Network Applied Science team, you will lead a group of applied scientists and analysts who focus on data foundations, machine learning, inference, experimentation, actionable insights, metric definition, and data storytelling. You will work closely with product management, engineering, design and operations to build towards a future where Uber Freight's carriers are the most successful in the freight space and run on the most efficient network possible.
- Lead a team of ~10 highly skilled applied scientists and analysts
- Partner with senior business and tech leaders to manage project intake, pipeline, prioritize, and manage staffing against key initiatives
- Drive Product strategy, planning and execution through actionable data insights and data driven stories.
- Guide machine learning execution on a broad set of solutions across ranking, recommendations, optimization and anything else you can tie to business impact
- Guide analysis complex experiments and effective communication of their results
- Define, instrument, and maintain new and existing business critical metrics, using SQL queries and beyond
- Serve as a strategic thought partner to the data engineering team across data quality and key metrics
The ideal candidate is experienced working with large data sets and data visualization, as well as being passionate about data and analytics. They will also have the ability to build consensus by clearly communicating and presenting information to varying partners. Finally, you are passionate people managers, excited to develop a team of analysts.
- Ph.D., MS or Bachelors degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative field.
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Proficiency in languages and tools like SQL, Hive, and Spark
- Strong expertise in applied science/machine learning.
- Minimum 3 years of industry experience.
- Management experience: 2 years
- Ph.D. degree in Statistics, Economics / Econometrics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, or other quantitative disciplines.
Experience in experiment design and analysis and more generally causal inference.
- Experience in algorithm development and prototyping.
- Research or industry experience in Pricing, Optimization, Auctions preferred.
- Bias towards action and impact - able to structure a project from idea, prototyping, productionization to impact quantification. Industry experience with a proven track record of delivering impactful results preferred.
- Passionate and attentive self-starter, great communicator, amazing follow-through - you have a great work ethic and love the responsibility of being held accountable for the results.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber