Applied Science Manager - Verticals
About the Role
Verticals is a new and exciting team that owns building experiences for Uber riders and drivers which include Airports, Connect,Uber Black, SUV, Reservations, and Hourly Rides. Our team owns the end-to-end experience which includes frontend, backend, operation tools, experimentation and data analysis pipeline. We're looking for managers to own and execute a roadmap to accelerate the work in these areas.
What You'll Do
- Manage a team of Applied Scientists, while also contributing hands-on to projects
- Build statistical, optimization, and machine learning models for applications including pricing, matching, routing, automated recommendations, growth strategies, and user behavior modeling
- Design product experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and impactful conclusions
- Strong communication skills, for example demonstrated through documentation and presentations. Able to present findings to senior management to inform business decisions
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams across disciplines such as product, engineering, operations, and marketing to drive system development end-to-end from ideation to productionization.
- Bachelor degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics and minimum 4 years experience in the Applied Science field
- Ability to use a language like Python, R or Java to work efficiently at scale with large data sets (including exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis, and machine learning model development) in a production environment.
- Ability to drive clarity on the best modeling or analytic solution for a business objective
- Advanced knowledge of experiment design and statistical methods
- Advanced ability with SQL
- Minimum 1 year management experience in a technical role
- MS in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics or other quantitative field with 2+ years of industry experience
- Ph.D in Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, Physics or other quantitative field
- Experience working in a technical role in a marketplace environment
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber