Applied Scientist-II - Core Analytics & Science
About the Role
The Core Analytics & Science Team (CAS) is Uber's largest data science organization, covering both of Uber's main lines of business as well as the underlying platform technologies that power those businesses. We are a key part of Uber's cross-functional product development teams, helping to drive every stage of product development through data analytic, statistical, and algorithmic expertise.
The team at Bangalore, India will host an entrepreneurial attitude which will focus on rapid experimentation of ideas to expand the product portfolio for Uber. This team is working to bring a customer-centric experience to our riders, at par with the Uber experience that they have come to expect. We are looking for a high-performing Data Scientist to make significant contributions to our mission. A deep analytical passion to learn and the ability to execute on key business priorities is a must.
As a Data Scientist for the team, you will play the very meaningful role of helping define the product vision and deliver it from the ground up by working with a very fast paced and passionate team of high-performing Product Analysts, Data Scientists, Engineers, Designers, Product Managers, and Ops Managers. People with an entrepreneurial bent of mind, independent analytical thinking, rapid hypotheses building, testing hypotheses using experimentations, and aid the team make an informed decision, and deliver high business impact are desired characteristics for this role!
What You'll Do
You will shape the direction of Uber's products by using data-driven insights/solutions to identify opportunities and prioritize product and engineering initiatives. You will:
- Develop creative solutions and build prototypes to business problems using algorithms based on machine learning, statistics, and optimization, and work with engineering/product to productionize those algorithms and create impact in production.
- Drive clarity and solve ambiguous, challenging business problems using data-driven approaches.
- Propose and guide the framework of data analysis to drive business insight and facilitate decisions. Establish standard methodologies for data science including modeling, coding, analytics, and experimentation.
- Leverage data to understand the product performance and to identify improvement opportunities
- Design product experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and impactful conclusions
- Communicate with senior management and multi-functional teams
- Provide recommendations to assist quick product ideation and feature launch decisions.
- Build intelligent data-driven products to provide the best user experience.
- Ph.D., MS or Bachelors degree in, Statistics, Economics, Machine Learning, Operations Research, Computer Science or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 3+ years of industry experience required)
- Knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics, machine learning, optimization, economics, and analytics
- Knowledge of experimental design and analysis
- Experience with exploratory data analysis, statistical analysis, and testing, and model development
- Ability to use a language like Python or R to work efficiently at scale with large data sets
- Proficiency in languages and tools like SQL, Hive, and Spark
- 4+ years of industry experience working as a data scientist or similar
- Tech lead experience is a plus
- Experience with productionizing algorithms for real-time systems
- Advanced experience in experimental design and analysis (e.g., A/B and market-level experiments), as well as causal inference.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber