Sr Software Engineer - Machine Learning
About the role:
Partners with stakeholders to design, develop, optimize, and productionize machine learning (ML) or ML-based solutions and systems that are used within a team to solve complex problems with multiple dependencies. This role also leads team efforts to leverage and improve ML infrastructure for model development, training, deployment needs and scaling ML systems.
About the Team:
The AdTech team enables Uber's growth by enabling acquisition and retention of Uber users through marketing. We are responsible for building and managing systems that improve efficiency and effectiveness of Uber marketing business function. We support various marketing use cases which span Uber's mobile and web applications (Rider, Driver, Eats, Freight, Elevate, U4B etc.), Uber acquisitions (Cornershop, Jump, Careem etc.) through various marketing channels (Search, Social, Programmatic Display, Job boards, AppAds, and as many as 40 more).
Optimization team within AdTech solves automation of intelligent decision making regarding how much money should be invested and spent for different marketing channels. You will build machine learning driven automation systems that will influence multi-million dollar investment decisions. You will consume impressions and click level petabyte scale data, build highly available and highly scalable backend systems flexible enough to handle channel niche complexities and granularities. We are looking for engineers who can come and help define the next generation architecture for marketing at Uber. If you like working with billions of rows of data, 10ms response times, and having a multi-million dollar impact per engineer, we'd like to hear from you!
- PhD or equivalent in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or related field OR 3-years full-time Software Engineering work experience, WHICH INCLUDES 2-years total technical software engineering experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Programming language (e.g. C, C++, Java, Python, or Go)
- Training using data structures and algorithms
- Modern machine learning algorithms (e.g., tree-based techniques, supervised, deep, or probabilistic learning)
- Machine Learning Software such as Tensorflow/Pytorch, Caffe, Scikit-Learn, or Spark MLLib
- Note the 2-years total of specialized software engineering experience may have been gained through education and full-time work experience, additional training, coursework, research, or similar (OR some combination of these). The years of specialized experience are not necessarily in addition to the years of Education & full-time work experience indicated.
- Scalable ML architecture
- Feature management
- Previous expertise on distributed systems and/or ML Infra
- Excited about scalability and reliability of systems
- Previous domain expertise in some high-scale Applied ML field (Adtech, Marketing, Fraud/Risk, Cyber Security, Recommendation, search etcs )
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, or 3+ years of software engineering experience with PhD in relevant fields (EE, CS, Stats, Math, etc)
- Experience with causal learning and/or deep learning
- Experience working with large dataset storage systems like NoSQL, HDFS (+Hive) and data distribution systems like Kafka
- Engineering experience in hands-on software development with thoughtfulness of scale, latency and distributed architecture
- A willingness and curiosity to learn both the systems and domain in which you will be solving problem statements
- A great teammate and owner- willing to take on ownership of the systems, and think about operations, maintenance and reliability of his/her systems
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada