Localization Operations Program Manager
The Globalization team is seeking a Program Manager I in tech in India to help our team to identify and resolve localization issues end to end by improving the source, reducing manual steps, and improving turn-around time using automation, AI, and/or machine learning. You have solid technical skills and with the guidance of more senior members of the team, closely collaborate with the internationalization engineering as well as other teams across Uber to find innovative and scalable solutions for localization issues. In this role, you will also act as a liaison between the localization operations team, the internal localization team, cross functional partners, and vendors to ensure localization tools and processes properly bring together all requirements for functionality, efficiency and scalability. Ability to work with teams across multiple time zones, and collaborative attitude are a must.
What You'll Do
- Contribute to our localization tools vision and roadmap to improve functionality, scalability and efficiency by positively impacting our localization tools-related internal and cross-functional initiatives
- Develop and maintain key relationships with Engineering teams working on machine learning and AI in addition to the Internationalization engineering team.
- Work closely with localization vendors and ensure compliance to Uber's technical requirements
- Gather requirements from LPgMs (Localization Program Managers) and LQPgMs (Localization Quality Program Managers) on localization tools and process needs and work with internationalization engineering and product teams to enable support
- Collaborate with cross-functional customers, such as Marketing and Help Content teams, and guide them on how to best integrate their CMSs into the Localization pipeline and/or improve existing integrations
- Review and influence product requirement documents (PRDs/RFCs) related to Tools and Systems that can improve globalization (g11n) across Uber
- Use existing scripts (or build new scripts) that interact with our TMS via API calls to maintain project configuration settings, and support team members querying our CMS.
- Handle projects, work toward deadlines, and establish product/process roadmap achievements and reviews
- Work closely with PMs/Engineers on product roll-outs, tool improvements/automation, and tech planning
What You'll Need
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science or equivalent practical experience
- 4+ years of experience in localization/internationalization or operations or product roles
- 2+ years of hand on technical localization experience in the high-tech industry on the client side
- Solid understanding with scripting languages and tools such as Python, Perl, Ruby, Postman and SQL
- Consistent track record in streamlining complex processes and improving workflow efficiency
- Strong understanding of Internationalization and Localization Program and Language Management roles, as well as localization requirements of various content types such as UI, HC, Marketing, & Legal
- Ability to navigate ambiguity, work independently and be able to chart the direction of projects
- Solid analytical and problem- solving experience, coupled with excellent business judgment, ability to prioritize tasks in a dynamic environment
- Very detail-oriented, quality-focused and proactive
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to handle multiple and diverse stakeholders across businesses and leadership levels
- Excellent team player and Passionate about Uber and our mission
- Ability to handle technical programs at scale with the help and guidance of more senior team members.
- Self-directed - you need to take the initiative in seeking large problems head- on
- Be proficient in and handle technical processes (e.g. Share internationalization i18n best practices, advise Product/Engineers on best practices for l10n QA/testing, run and handle linguistic QA processes)
Bonus Points If
- Master's degree in related fields
- Experience using CAT tools as an LPgM/LQPgM to handle our localization pipeline & workflows (e.g. Memsource, Smartling, Idiom WorldServer, and Trados) is a plus
- Basic understanding of modern machine learning libraries, frameworks, techniques (e.g., Tensorflow, PyTorch, Deep Learning, Transfer Learning, Keras, NLP, feature engineering, automated hyperparameter tuning, and conventional machine learning techniques)
- You are fluent in languages other than English
About the Team
At Uber, it's crucial that we maintain a close connection with users regardless of which language they speak. With millions of published words, communicating messages across 10,000+ cities in 70+ countries, we need your help to ensure that each word is carefully chosen to match the tone and voice of Uber. As a valuable member of our Localization team, you'll have the opportunity to contribute to our mission of being local to everyone, everywhere.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber