Manager, Safety Strategy & Operations
About the Role
We are searching for an analytically minded, highly motivated individual who loves to design and implement scalable programs and processes to lead our Background Check Strategy & Operations team. This team is focused on setting up Uber for our next wave of growth by evolving and modernizing our current operations. This role is part of Uber's US&C Safety Operations team and we are also embedded deeply with the US&C Mobility+Delivery businesses.
In this role you will need to have a solid foundation in data analysis, demonstrated ability to design processes and define what success criteria for a program should be, and a passion for designing experiences that enable earners to get and maintain access to the Uber platform. It is an excellent opportunity to lead a stellar group of ICs to Screenings new chapter.
We are seeking a leader that has proven people management skills or has shone an ability to inspire, connect, and grow people around them. This role will be based in San Francisco (preferred to co-locate with the majority of the current team) or Chicago (to co-locate with other members of the Safety Operations team), once return to work commences (virtual until then).
What You'll Do
- Leadership: Manage a high-performing team of operators responsible for background check vendor relationships, cost management, and day-to-day operations, including our agents who review background check reports and determine if an earner is eligible for our platform
- Set Vision: Work closely with business leaders across the company to refine our strategy for background checks, ensuring that we have accurate and efficient screening vendors, tools, and processes to hold a high safety bar for platform access
- Process improvement: Identify operational and structural weaknesses and help improve existing or develop new processes to keep us as efficient as possible. Immediate focus areas is continued modernization of our adjudication operations
- Program Management: Define what success looks like for our Screenings operations and work with Data Science to build dashboards that measure both system performance (i.e., are checks happening as intending) and operational performance (i.e., how well are we meeting established business requirements)
- Vendor Management: set the foundation for how our teams engage with our background check vendors. Areas of focus: joint success planning; scorecard to manage operational success; evolving our approach to manual courts
- Strategic Thinking: Work with leadership to set strategic priorities - including vision for multi-vendor strategy / vendor redundancy
- Build Relationships: Interface with other functional areas (Finance, Product, Business Development, Public Affairs, Legal, Engineering, Central Operations, etc.) to ensure we are bringing all available tools to bear on our toughest problems
- Reduce Costs: Bring and maintain a laser focus on reducing costs through optimizing our background check configurations and processes, without compromising on safety or compliance
- 6+ years of investment banking / consulting / business intelligence / strategy or related experience; some entrepreneurial experience is preferred
- Clear communicator. You are a clear and concise communicator with the ability to synthesize a lot of information quickly, highlight the important points, and disseminate actionable insights
- Demonstrated decision-making skill. You think critically about all angles of a problem, digging in deeper where needed, and make smart long-term decisions
- People Development. Ability to coach, develop, and excite team members to foster a cohesive and creative work environment
- Strategic planning. You break down broad problems to create prioritized forward-thinking action plans
- Ability to work with remote teams and across time zones to develop strategies and foster a cohesive and creative work environment
- Explorer - the ability to self-serve, investigate and get the data we require will make you much more effective in this role. Self-starter attitude is a must!
- A "driver" personality - biased toward action, great collaborator and master disambiguator/simplifier - constantly pushing toward clarity and delivery
- Exceptional Excel / data management skills
- Grittiness. You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and tackle something hands-on; you persevere when others fall away
- Strong storytelling: distill interesting and hard-to-find insights into a compelling, concise data story
- Comfortable influencing discussions at the highest levels and a demonstrated ability to find common ground and align cross functional stakeholders and teams with conflicting agendas
- Strong judgment, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills
- Understanding of business operations and competing pressures a business leader faces on a day to day basis
- Ability to solve complex business problems that cross multiple product/project areas and teams
- Vendor management experience
- SQL proficiency
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber