Data Scientist II, Safety
About the Role
As a Data Scientist in the Safety and Insurance team, you will have the opportunity to seek some of the hardest problems in all of Uber: improving the safety of cities and people all over the world. You will develop expertise and insights in a team that seeks to make rare events even rarer. It is an exciting, stimulating, and, most of all, rewarding endeavor!
You will partner closely with product management, operations, engineering, and local teams, conducting deep analysis, experiment design to test out novel ideas and develop predictive or prescriptive models to make our platform as safe as possible throughout the lifecycle of our users from when they attempt to sign-up and when they're using our platform. You will play an influential role in helping drive critical product and policy decisions.
What You'll Do
- Design, run and analyze experiments that help resolve efficacy of new safety products
- Propose and develop models to reduce experiments runtime such that rare events can be measured
- Build prototype machine learning models that detect anomalies on trips
- Be responsible for the production lifecycle of machine learning models
- Proactively explore our vast data to surface useful insights to drive future safety products
- Work with a multi-functional team that includes product management, engineering, operations and others to execute on projects
What You'll Need
- Minimum 3 years in building machine learning models and/or experimentation (a/b, causal inference, synthetic control etc), sophisticated data analysis
- Strong statistical and machine learning background
- Expertise in Python
- Proficiency with SQL and Hive / Spark
- Able to identify partners, establish relationships, and influence others to get work done
- Strong verbal and written communication, and presentation skills
- Strong ability to document research and analysis
- Highly detailed oriented
- Excellent judgment, critical thinking, and decision-making skills; can balance attention to detail with swift execution
Bonus Points for
- Building a machine learning or statistical system in real-time production environment
- Having previous experience in working with rare events and anomaly detection
- Scala skills
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber