Engineering Manager - Stateful Platform
About the Role
The Stateful Platform team builds Uber's infrastructure to deploy and run all database engines and other stateful systems such as MySQL, Schemaless, Redis, ZooKeeper, Kafka and HDFS for all of Uber worldwide. Our mission is to run all Uber's storage solutions at scale, with high-availability, low cost, and high level of automation. All changes are automated (or self-healing) such as doing kernel upgrades, handling host failures or expanding storage clusters.
A Bit About Us
We handle 10,000s of hosts, millions of containers and exabytes of storage across multiple geographical regions with availability zones in both Uber's own data centers, AWS and GCP. Databases are dockerized and co-located on hosts with intelligent placement to optimize utilization and failure domain anti-affinity to maximize efficiency and reliability. Services are written in Go with a strong focus on clean, readable code with unit and integration test coverage. All code changes are peer-reviewed.
We have great opportunities ahead to extend the integrations with the different database engines and to increase fleet-wide efficiency by optimizing scheduling, host lifecycle processes, auto-scaling and resource forecasting. We strive to automate all operations that are currently handled by on-call engineers with the end goal of having a fully self-healing system - without compromising on availability or reliability.
Our team consists of a balanced combination of both junior and senior engineers with a broad range of experiences across the industry. We value ideas over hierarchy, getting things done and having a measurable impact on the business. We work closely with our partner teams in San Francisco, Palo Alto, Seattle, New York and Vilnius.
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- 1+ years experience minimum with direct people management, including growing and mentoring engineers at different levels.
- BS, MS or PhD degree in computer science, similar technical field of study or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in designing and building world-class software
- 3+ years experience minimum with direct people management
- Experience with Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), or similar
- Experience with container platforms such as Kubernetes or Mesos
- Experience in building large-scale distributed systems
- A proven track record working across a larger organization - not just across teams
- Strong Linux experience, networking protocols, Linux tools and libraries
What You'll Do
- Drive the technical alignment with partner teams, in particular on fleet management processes with the Infrastructure Foundations and Metal teams.
- Be responsible for roadmap execution and delivery of projects with high quality
- Grow, coach, and develop a team of skilled software engineers
- Recruit high-quality engineering talent for the team
- Help define the engineering culture and uphold the processes that will shape the future of the team
- Help define the future of Uber Infrastructure's Stateful Platform
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber