Sr Software Engineer II (Sr Architect), Backend - Uber Infra
About the role
The Developer Platform's vision is to be the industry leader for how developers build high-quality software productively at scale. Our mission is to Enable Uber developers to build high-quality software consistently and without frustration.
At Uber the Developer Platform teams build the technical foundation for engineers to develop the future of mobility. Our engineering community depends on us to develop centralized solutions to support each part of the development life cycle from writing the first line of code to shipping software to production that touches millions of users. We have a unique opportunity to work across Uber's products to solve for scale and impact company wide technical roadmaps.
As a hands-on Sr Architect, you will build and evangelise next generation products at scale for our fellow engineers that aim at increasing developer productivity and throughput.
What You'll Do
- Take ownership of a major business problem or product vision, prepare a roadmap and translate it into executable technical design to solve the problem or realize the product vision.
- Solve challenging and interesting engineering problems for Uber Infra.
- Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed systems which underpin Uber Developers' productivity
- Demonstrate technical skills to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leverageable solutions.
- Collaborate with other talented team members within your group, smart technologists across product lines, to responsible leaders across Uber. Build up strong relationships with people in the organization, meaningfully collaborating and building trust
- Be a role model on acting with good judgement and responsibility. Engineers across the organization will look up to you on how best to plan and execute on projects
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with a difference in opinions in a mature and fair way, helping teams to commit and move forward
- 12+ years of experience with software engineering. Sound understanding of computer architecture and CS fundamentals.
- Proficient in one of the following programming languages: Java, Go, Python, C/C++. ( Our primary language is Golang/Java )
- Detailed problem-solving and knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis.
- 5+ year of experience in building large scale platform/product or data systems
Grit, drive and a strong feeling of ownership coupled with collaboration.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
- Providing technical leadership to a group of engineers
- Experience in building developer productivity tools / frameworks / Platform Engineering.
- Exposure to ML technologies
- Past experience in designing a multi threaded system involving RPC's and Binary encoding
- Good understanding of handling scale and its challenges
- Experience in being a TLM or managing a team of engineers
Why Join Us
- We are an extremely open, collaborative and impact driven organization and we optimise for impact
- Teammates. Work with empathetic, smart and motivated teammates in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- High scalability engineering. Build world class engineering for high throughput and low latency distributed systems. We take ownership in creating elegant and reliable code.
- Fun problem solving. We love solving challenging problems with cutting edge algorithms. We move fast and build things that have never been built before.
About the Team
We are Uber Infra that builds products at scale for our fellow engineers and we are looking for an experienced technologist who would play a key role to evangelise, architect, build, and scale the next generation products that aims at increasing four engineers throughput.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber