Paralegal/Sr. Paralegal, Government Investigations & Special Matters
About the Role
At Uber, we pride ourselves on the amazing team we've built. We're seeking a Senior Paralegal who has the same passion for excellence.
This role is part of Uber's Government Investigations & Special Matters team, the legal team that responds to government and regulatory inquiries and investigations on behalf of the company. The team intersects with all other legal teams at Uber, including litigation, compliance, employment, privacy, insurance, corporate, antitrust and competition, and our regional teams, and serves all business lines, including Mobility, Delivery, and Freight.
At Uber, paralegals are entrusted with significant substantive work, both internally and public-facing, and tasked with classic matter support and organization. We are looking for an experienced, ambitious, detail-oriented paralegal who can help us provide efficient support to the business.
What You'll Do
- Support internal and external investigations, regulatory inquiries, enforcement actions, and litigation
- Develop and implement investigative plans
- Oversee intake of new matters, service of process, and day-to-day matter management, including calendaring/docketing of matter deadlines and data analytics
- Investigate underlying facts, interview and prepare witnesses for testimony and government interviews, and help prepare defense to government and regulatory inquiries
- Coordinate document collections/productions, related preservation efforts, and custodian identification in collaboration with Uber's eDiscovery team
- Review and analyze documents for responsiveness
- Manage and draft responses to government and third-party data requests, including subpoenas and consumer inquiries, and prepare related productions
- Assist with preparation of legal briefs, supporting declarations, and exhibits
- Design, build, and deliver engaging presentations for internal and external audiences
- Maintain and update reference manuals and resource materials
- Prepare and assist with internal reporting, budgeting, and billing matters
- Work with Uber's Law Enforcement Response Team to respond to government-issued third-party subpoenas and Global Investigations team to submit proactive referrals to law enforcement authorities
- Assist with special projects, including assisting the litigation paralegal team with responding to small claims, demand letters, and subpoenas
- 2+ years of paralegal background for paralegal
- 6+ years of paralegal background for senior paralegal role
- 4+ years of paralegal background for paralegal role
- 8+ years of paralegal background for senior paralegal role
- Experience with litigation in both federal and state courts
- eDiscovery and mass document production experience
- Familiarity with rules of criminal and civil procedure, particularly California and federal
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat Pro, GSuite, Box, and Relativity
- Paralegal certificate
- A minimum of 4 years of trial, litigation, and investigation experience (criminal and civil), both in private practice and with a federal or state government agency; government trial experience strongly preferred.
- Substantial experience with both federal and state government investigations from various agencies.
- Highly motivated, efficient, organized, and laser-focused on the details
- Able to juggle multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced environment, both as a team and working independently to get the job done, no matter how big or small the project
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive matters
- Strong ability to foster relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, especially outside counsel and external partners
- Calm in time-sensitive situations; self-reliant and able to prioritize workload
- Enthusiastic about Uber!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber