Public Policy Manager, Work & Economic Policy
About the Team
The Central Public Policy Team has a global remit and is tasked with developing solutions to policy opportunities and regulatory challenges in issue domains that impact on Uber's global business. Working closely with on-the-ground Public Affairs and Government Relations and cross-functional partners we develop best in class policy solutions backed by thorough research and data. The team also provides strategic advice and guidance to Tech and Product organizations as well as key executives in the execution of Uber's business goals.
About the Role
The Public Policy Manager (Work and Economic Policy), is responsible for being Uber's connection between our best-in-class technology that provides access to flexible, reliable work opportunities for over 3 million people globally and the growing audience of policymakers, regulators, researchers, key opinion formers, and the broader public.
A key component of this role is to develop public policy positions on our work practices with a focus on educating and building support with key policy and research stakeholders as well as working collaboratively with cross-functional, internal teams to continuously improve the quality of independent work accessible through Uber. Working with your colleagues, you will execute a strategy to make Uber a leader in the future of work debate, globally. You will drive strategic policy development and narrative construction, working across all pillars and contribute to the delivery of the global strategy.
You will collaborate with cross-functional colleagues to build and strengthen Uber's work model to deliver flexibility and security in the interests of our partners and to further long-term business goals. Your role will include proactively seeking out new thought and business leaders to further Uber's reform and program leadership efforts.
What You'll Do
- Work with Uber's teams to develop and deliver data-driven positions relating to social institutions, community expectations, and business commitments as well as initiate new programs to build credibility and grow reputation
- Provide product counsel on policy issues in relation to work issues including coordinating efforts across the Central Public Policy and local Public Affairs and Government Relations teams
- Manage relationships with external parties, including executing a program of regular, ongoing engagement, coordinating and leading events, roundtables, and user forums
- Demonstrate thought leadership when it comes to hard policy issues such as improving social protection for independent workers, lifelong learning, occupational licensing reforms, better targeting of transitional support, investing in human capital, stronger credentialing, and job-matching
- Minimum 6 years experience in government, law, labor markets, labor policy and history, competition policy, digital marketplaces, consumer protection, or project management
- Bachelor's degree required
- Strong interpersonal (verbal + written) skills
- Experience maintaining records of project design, development, and execution as well as content creation
- Significant analytical experience, including the ability to analyze data to identify trends and implications, and ability to construct forward-looking models that can influence policy positions
- Ability to work cross functionally and build positive relationships internally and externally
- Experience in the technology sector is helpful and experience in a marketplace business is strongly desired
- Advanced degree (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) preferred
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber