Public Policy Manager, Privacy and Security
On the Public Policy team, we engage policy makers and stakeholders around the globe to advocate for the future of mobility, and demonstrate how Uber benefits the cities in which we operate. The Central Policy team at Uber Headquarters in San Francisco establishes our core policy positions and works with teams around the world to execute campaigns on the issues that matter to the business.
About the Role
As a Public Policy Manager, Privacy and Security, you will connect and communicate the ways in which Uber collects, uses, and protects data with key public audiences, including policymakers, regulators, researchers, and consumer advocates on a global scale. You'll serve as a subject matter expert for local policy and communications teams; you'll also be a thought partner for Uber's Legal, Communications, Product, and Engineering organizations, helping to drive alignment in our approach to user transparency, privacy controls, and data protection across our platform.
You will track legislative and regulatory developments around data and collaborate with local teams to respond to and execute policy strategies. This includes submitting persuasive positions on critical issues to convening specialists to discuss key developments in privacy, security, and emerging technologies. You will collaborate with our Privacy Legal and Law Enforcement Operations Team to further develop our policies and procedures for responding to government access to data. You will possess a knack for driving internal alignment, balancing competing priorities, and consistently advocating for solutions that empower our users! Does this sound like you?
What You'll Do
- Track policy and legislative trends related to privacy, security, and data use around the world.
- Develop thoughtful policies and provide guidance on the privacy and/or security implications of Uber's products, services, and features.
- Work closely with cross-functional US and global teams to develop and communicate Uber's positions on data policy issues in regulatory submissions, stakeholder meetings, and other external-facing engagements.
- Develop guidance methodology guidelines on how governments should consider dealing with data matters salient to ridesharing and delivery, including AI/ML and other new and emerging technologies, in consultation with internal teams and outside experts.
- Represent Uber on issues of privacy, security, and data policy at public events and conferences.
- Maintain close relationships and consult with industry, academic, and government leaders on ways to improve our approach to privacy and security through our products.
- Work with Policy, Legal, and Ops teams globally to drive consistency in our responses to government requests for information.
- Bachelor's degree
- 5+ years working directly or advising on privacy, security, or technology policy issues (3+ years with advanced degree in related field).
- Outstanding ability to scope, design, prioritize, and execute cross-functional projects.
- Advanced degrees (e.g., JD, MPP, MBA) preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to prioritize and manage multiple business and/or policy priorities.
- Knowledge of privacy legislative and policy frameworks.
- Experience working with senior leaders and executives on high-impact projects and deliverables.
- Excellent ability to distill sophisticated, technical challenges and product issues into persuasive resources for a wide array of partners, internally and externally.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber