Sr Technical Program Manager, Core Infrastructure
About the Role
The Uber Technical Program Management (TPM) team plays a critical role in executing high-impact org-wide initiatives and continuously improving processes to increase the effectiveness of our product and engineering organizations. A TPM in this role will structure and drive large complex cross-team technical initiatives in Core Infrastructure spanning Networking, Compute, Multi-Region, Multi-Zone, Capacity, etc to name a few.
This TPM will lead the problem space, work closely with engineering/product leads to conceptualize solutions, organize/align multiple engineering teams for delivery and drive execution leveraging milestones/KPIs. She/he will look for ways to standardize, ensure execution is efficient and consistent, and set accountability by tracking progress, resolving dependencies, identifying issues, evaluating risks and communicating status to upper management and project stakeholders. The TPM will intrinsically act as a coach to engage and energize the product and engineering teams to achieve aggressive goals.
What the candidate will do:
You will collaborate with the Core Platform teams to plan, execute and deliver various programs. You engage with partners across the organization and ensure that the platforms and Infrastructure meet their needs. You build relationships and trust with various influencers and drive programs with compassion and integrity. You are not afraid to make key decisions and be direct in your conversations!
- Lead sophisticated and large scale cross-team and cross-functional programs and initiatives.
- Understand end goals and formulate plans to meet those goals. Define Objectives and Key Results. Ensure broad agreement and alignment on them. Execute on those plans, and ensure timely delivery.
- Identify and mitigate risks, proactively remove obstacles and handle escalations.
- Develop broad technical knowledge and domain expertise. Understand the long term implications of architectural and technical changes, while not losing focus on the short term deliverables.
- Continuously improve and scale the organization. Improve processes where needed, while being cognizant of not slowing down engineering teams.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or Mathematics, related quantitative subject area, or equivalent practical experience.
- Solid technical aptitude and an ability to understand technical designs, challenges, and risks.
- Minimum 4 years experience as a TPM or Engineering Manager or Engineer in a software, SaaS, or systems development environment.
- Experience in building and maintaining large infrastructure systems at scale.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and exceptional emotional intelligence.
- Strong cross-team and cross-org partner management. Ability to influence, empower, and align people across a broad variety of job functions through your relationships.
- Strong organizational skills to prioritize projects without losing sight of the highest priority items. Be good at facilitating discussions.
- Analytical and truth seeking. Ability to understand complex concepts and make reasoned decisions objectively.
- Excellent in identifying process gaps, measuring progress, and balancing engineering and product efficiency with process overhead.
- Experience with Container & Software networking and knowledge of industry trends in these areas.
- Experience with AWS and Google Cloud.
- Experience with system level improvements in large scale systems - efficiency, reliability, performance, etc.
- Proven leadership skills and partner alignment
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber