Senior Engineering Manager, Eats Backend
About the Role
Uber is looking for an experienced Senior Engineering manager to be a part of our Delivery Matching team (formerly the Eats Matching team). The Matching team at Uber is responsible for developing and managing the algorithms and infrastructure for optimally matching a courier to a delivery job. The team's mission is to develop state of the art algorithmic techniques and infrastructure to pragmatically solve the VRP problem in a high scale production system to ensure optimal delivery of all types of goods: from food and groceries to non-perishables such as alcohol and pharmacy orders.
Come lead the team and help us build a scalable real-time system that can analyze thousands of delivery assignments every second to improve marketplace throughput. This team has a direct impact on Uber's growth and profitability by running the marketplace more efficiently, improving customer convenience, and courier utilization.
What You'll Do
- Lead and enable multiple teams of software engineers to deliver on our business goals. Ensure flawless, predictable and efficient planning and execution.
- Create and execute on a clear long-term strategy for the delivery matching and batching technology. You must have kept your technology skills sharp and be able to represent the team in other technical forums.
- Manage healthy collaboration between functional areas, such as Product, Data Science, and Operations.
- Hire, Retain, and grow the best talent.
- And bring an unwavering passion for managing the dynamics of a fast-paced environment.
- 5+ years of software engineering work experience, including hands-on technical management
- 5+ years of coding experience in one of the following languages: C++, Java, and/or Go
- Demonstrated experience recruiting and managing technical teams, including performance management
- BA/BS in Computer Science (In lieu of degree, 4+ years work experience)
- 10+ years industry experience delivering scalable, distributed platforms.
- 10+ years of progressive management leadership experience directing high visibility initiatives in geo-distributed team environments.
- Entrepreneurial focus with an inherent sense of urgency and accountability.
- An inspirational technical leader with a high emotional intelligence who sets high and exacting standards and demands the best work of their team.
- Experience with high-growth technology companies, and in organizations that know how to compete and win.
- Proven ability to build and maintain a high-quality, high intelligence engineering team.
- Team-oriented, collaborative, and able to implement important decisions. Can synthesize coherent plans and priorities from the inputs of the team and business partners. Fosters an atmosphere of innovation, collaboration, and open communication.
- Strategic and thinks at a high level, but also hands-on, execution-oriented, and capable of getting things done quickly.
- Flexible and adaptable in the face of a rapidly changing market environment.
- Ability to translate a long-term vision into a near-term, executable plan. Able to prioritize and triage effectively, deciding which projects to deliver first.
- Data-driven and "quantitative" mentality. Grounded, detail-oriented, always backs up ideas with facts.
- An advanced degree in computer science or engineering discipline.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber