Software Engineer - Presto Team
Presto is the most popular SQL engine for big data analytics at Uber. It's used by over 6000 weekly active users, who run over 3M+ queries every week. Our team manages one of the largest Presto deployments in the world to support these workloads. We make core Presto engine improvements to optimize for our workloads, and have built a very advanced ecosystem of services to customize Presto for Uber needs.
What you will do:
- Build and manage a large, reliable, and performant production deployment of Presto.
- Design and implement distributed and real-time algorithms for interactive data processing.
- Work with multiple partner teams within and outside of Uber and build cross-functional solutions in a collaborative work environment.
Be actively involved in the Presto open source community by making code contributions, giving talks, and participating in community activities.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or equivalent experience.
- Highly proficient in one of the following programming languages: Java, Go, C/C++. Good scripting skills and ability to pick up new ones.
- 2+ years of experience building and managing distributed systems. Sound understanding of distributed system fundamentals.
- Systematic problem solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures and complexity analysis.
- Experience with a relational database (MySQL, PostgreSQL).
- Good working knowledge of networking and RPC stack (TCP/IP, HTTP, Thrift).
- Grit, drive and a strong sense of ownership coupled with a penchant for collaboration
- Under the hood experience with open source big data analytics projects such as Apache Hadoop (HDFS and YARN), Spark, Hive, Parquet, Knox, Sentry, Presto is a plus.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber