Data Scientist / Senior Data Scientist - Core Services
About the Role
The Core Services Data Science team provides analytical insights and solutions for
critical cross-company functions and processes that each affect how we show up in the world for our customers, including Safety + Insurance, Customer Focus, and Payments, Risk, and Identity. As a Data Scientist in the Core Services organization, you get to use your quantitative skill set, obsession and empathy towards customers and collaborative spirit to work closely with Product, Ops, Engineering, and Data Scientists to provide data driven insights to find new opportunities to take our product and business to the next level
What You'll Do
- Refine ambiguous questions and generate new hypotheses about the product and business through a deep understanding of the data, our customers, and our business
- Design experiments and interpret the results to draw detailed and impactful conclusions.
- Define how our teams measure success, by developing Key Performance Indicators and other user/business metrics, in close partnership with Product and other subject areas such as engineering, operations and marketing
- Collaborate with data scientists and engineers to build and improve on the availability, integrity, accuracy, and reliability of data logging and data pipelines.
- Develop data-driven business insights and work with cross-functional partners to identify opportunities and recommend prioritization of product, growth, and optimization initiatives.
- M.S. or Bachelors degree in Math, Economics, Bioinformatics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, or other quantitative fields. (If M.S. degree, a minimum of 1+ years of industry experience required and if Bachelor's degree, a minimum of 2+ years of industry experience as a Data Scientist or equivalent)
- Advanced SQL expertise
- Basic understanding of experimental design (such as A/B experiments) and statistical methods
- Ability and experience in extracting insights from data, and summarizing learnings / takeaways
- Experience with Excel and some dashboarding/data visualization (i.e. Tableau, Mixpanel, Looker, or similar)
- Advanced degrees in Math, Economics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Operation Research, Machine Learning or other quantitative field
- 5+ years industry experience in consumer facing data science
- Strong storytelling: distill interesting and hard-to-find insights into a compelling, concise data story
- Advanced experience with experimental design and statistical methods such as causal Inference.
- Ability to communicate effectively and manage relationships with partners coming from both technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Strong judgment, critical-thinking, and decision-making skills
- Ability to solve complex business problems that cross multiple product/project areas and teams
- Balance attention to detail with swift execution
About the Team
Safety and Insurance Data Science: The Safety and Insurance Data Science team provides insights and analytical solutions that are timely, accurate, and actionable to drive safety and deliver insurance. We partner closely with a highly cross-functional team including product management, engineering, operations, and policy teams to make the Uber platform as safe as possible through new products and policies
Incident Science: We are a trusted resource to enrich, monitor, investigate, advise, and report safety incident data to empower partner teams to take smart, targeted actions which reduce safety incidents. Our solid incident data foundation fuels data for new safety products and public reports such as Uber's US Safety Report.
Customer Obsession: Building rich chat experiences in a variety of products for riders, drivers and eaters to help users solve their support needs with as little friction as possible
At Uber, we reimagine the way the world moves for the better. The idea was born on a snowy night in Paris in 2008, and ever since then, our DNA of reimagination and reinvention carries on. We've grown into a global platform moving people and things in ever-expanding ways, taking on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters make movement happen at the push of a button for everyone, everywhere.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada