Senior Software Engineer (Foundations)
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We tackle big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
About the Role
As a member of the Foundations team, you'll be responsible for ensuring automation of safe and reliable Uber on-premise and cloud infrastructure. You will be responsible for delivering and maintaining the best IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) platform in the World. Automation of infrastructure inventory management, change management, ensuring 99.99% uptime, high availability, capacity and scalability - this is what we do every day at large scale.
Some of the latest team projects:
- Setting up continuous integration for automatic new datacenter turn-up.
- Building infrastructure deployment systems which are capable to roll out hundreds of safe deployments per month to millions of containers.
What the Candidate Will Do
- Partner with fellow engineers to craft and build high-demand software and systems that can stand the test of scale and availability, while limiting operational overhead.
- Drive efficiencies in systems and processes: capacity planning, configuration management, performance tuning, monitoring and root cause analysis.
- Participate in an on call rotation and be available for critical issues.
What the Candidate Will Need
- At least 6+ years of programming experience in one of: Go, Java, C/C++, Python, .NET, PHP and an ability to pick up new ones.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical subject area. Equivalent practical experience is a reasonable substitute.
- Understanding of large-scale distributed systems in practice, including multi-tier architectures, application security, monitoring and storage systems
Nice to Haves
- Good understanding of Linux GNU (Debian preferred) operating system and internals: kernel, filesystems, modern memory management, threads and processes, the user and kernel-space divide, network stack, etc.
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, AWS or GCP is a plus.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber