Public Affairs Manager, West Region
About the Role
Our Policy & Communications team is responsible for telling Uber's story to the media, third parties, and government officials - whether it's transforming how we get around town and the lives of people who value independent, flexible work; supporting restaurants during COVID lockdowns, or; cutting congestion in cities by getting more backsides into fewer cars.
As a Public Affairs Manager for the West Region, you will be responsible for managing Uber's public relations strategy for California and the Pacific Northwest, as well as government relationships in parts of California. You will report to the Head of Public Affairs for the West.
What You'll Do
- Manage day-to-day relations with West Coast-based media outlets to support the reputation of Uber's Mobility and Delivery businesses, as well as tell our story as an engaged member of the communities in which we operate
- Develop and execute communications strategies to advance our key narratives
- Engage with local government officials on prospective legislation and regulations
- Partner with government agencies, state and local leaders, regional 3rd party organizations and coalition partners on shared public policy goals
- 5-7+ years of relevant professional experience
- Bachelor's or Master's Degree
- Self starter: We are a company of entrepreneurs, and we want to work with people who enjoy building things from the bottom up too. Things change fast at a global company like Uber so you'll need to be highly adaptable as well as calm under pressure
- Great advocate: We want someone who can distill sophisticated ideas into simple, but intellectually credible, arguments. This person will write well and have the creative ability to tell stories--about our product, people and the ways we're helping to improve life for riders, drivers, delivery people and cities across California and the western United States.
- Tell our story in the press: Experience developing and executing a public relations plan and working directly with counterprints in print, digital and broadcast media.
- Strong campaigner: We succeed by putting together effective campaigns with third parties on behalf of the passengers and drivers who use the app. That means you'll have a bias for action in everything you do, and also building strong business acumen covering issues related to mobility, delivery, safety, future of work and/or automation. It would also be useful to display a working knowledge of the regional political environment and strong, existing relationships with elected officials, media, 3rd parties and key thought leaders.
- Great teammate: Success at Uber depends on the ability to coordinate different teams (internally and externally) around shared goals. It's why we're looking for collaborators to get stuff done--and who can deal with the ambiguity that sometimes comes from working cross-functionally
- Comfortable being uncomfortable: On our team, you will be encouraged to handle challenging topics with emotional intelligence and integrity in a fast paced environment
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
- Outstanding verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to collaborate and influence across multiple levels of an organization
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber