Senior Counsel, High Exposure (West)
About the Role
Insurance for drivers and riders is a critical part of our business, and we are constantly innovating in this area. The Uber Legal Team is currently searching for a Safety & Insurance Litigation - High Exposure, Sr. Counsel, with expertise in the insurance defense industry and experience leading robust insurance defense litigation. This position is open in the San Francisco office, when we return back to the office.
What You'll Do
- Manage a portfolio of high exposure claims and litigation (auto-focused) for Uber in the West Coast Region.
- Analyze claims/cases to optimally participate in decisions related to resolution strategy and innovating legal precedent.
- Assist in the management of outside counsel with a regionalized focus on West Coast matters of high-severity.
- Work across our business and legal teams on risk management initiatives.
- Support new insurance initiatives and work closely with the insurance legal team on insurance for Uber and its entities around the world.
- A minimum of 8 years of insurance company or law firm experience litigating auto liability claims/cases, with specific experience handling high-severity matters.
- Membership of the state bar of WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, ID, AZ, NM, HI, or AK. CA strongly preferred.
- Membership of the state bar of CA strongly preferred.
- In-house experience strongly preferred, with the know-how to handle a case through pleadings, motion practice, discovery, dispute resolution and trial (both state and federal).
- Proven case evaluation abilities, critical thinking skills and the capacity to oversee a large portfolio of high-severity matters.
- First chair mediation and trial experience.
- Extensive deposition experience, including presenting both lay and expert witnesses.
- Strong academic credentials.
- Excellent business judgment, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Enthusiasm about Uber!
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber