Staff Software Engineer (Principal Architect) - Compute Platform
About the Role
Staff engineers at Uber have a deep impact across a wide variety of business and technology decisions spanning multiple projects and locations. They are passionate and pragmatic technologists who are able to design scalable systems while delivering efficient code. They are not only collaborative role models but also approachable thought leaders with vision within a larger group. They are humble teachers, technically mentoring a team of hardworking engineers while also executing on delivering uniquely exciting projects.
We are looking for someone with a passion for architecting, building, coding and scaling highly-available, mission critical infrastructure. If you enjoy discussing anything from kernels to datacenters then we want you on the team.
This is a unique opportunity for an experienced engineer who has a healthy sense of curiosity, and acts with a responsibility to join Uber, work with hardworking people across the board and help improve our next generation infrastructure systems, scaling them to the next level.
What You'll Do
- Take ownership of a vaguely defined infrastructure problem, see the big picture, and identify strategically important problems, inefficiencies, or opportunities for significantly large improvements.
- Demonstrate tech expertise to go very deep or broad in solving classes of problems or creating broadly leverage-able solutions.
- Execute large scale projects - Provide technical leadership in architecting and building mission-critical distributed infrastructure.
- Collaborate across teams to deliver a result, from hardworking team members within your group, through smart technologists across lines of business, to responsible leaders across Uber.
- Be a role model on acting with good judgment and responsibility, helping teams to commit and move forward
- Be a humble mentor and trusted advisor for both our talented team members and passionate leaders alike. Deal with differences in opinion in a mature and fair way.
- Raise the bar on infrastructure engineering by improving standard methodologies, producing best-in-class efficient solution, code, documentation, testing, and monitoring.
What You'll Ned
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Computer Science or related fields
- 15+ years of relevant engineering experience.
- Experience with Go, Java or C++
- Proficiency in Linux and similar systems
- Full-stack infrastructure knowledge
- Proven record of building and productionizing highly reliable infrastructure at scale.
- Great interpersonal skills, deep technical ability, and a portfolio of successful execution.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to write detailed technical documents.
- Passionate about helping teams grow by inspiring and mentoring engineers.
- Can collaborate well with several other engineering orgs to articulate requirements and system design.
- Ability to assess new technologies and make pragmatic choices that help guide us towards a long-term vision
About the Team
The Compute, Foundations and Cloud team works on core components on which all other systems at Uber are built on. We power the infrastructure brain that runs all of Uber. If you are excited about running distributed systems at massive scale across multiple cloud providers and on prem hardware, come talk to us! We are looking for strong engineers to drive key initiatives and bootstrap the team in Bangalore.
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber