Sr Software Engineer, Backend- Safety
About the Team:
Safety & Insurance Data team is responsible for collecting data from across Uber to build a source of truth data set for safety incidents and related trip information on the platform across lines of businesses (Rides, Eats). We ingest, process and classify trip data, customer complaints/feedbacks, support investigations, trip details and other relevant data to power various safety and insurance products. We leverage ML models and human in the loop processing for data cleanups. Our mission is to build a pristine data sets available for realtime and offline access for:
Identifying, investigating and remove access for customers that have conducted unsafe or risky behavior.
Building ML Models powering incident prevention products
Building KPI's to measure the safety products
Publishing the Safety report
Defining Insurance reserving and pricing policies
Provide safety teams with timely & accurate visibility into safety behavior of customers on the platform
About the Role
Uber's Safety & Insurance organization sits at the core of our business and is redefining what it takes to be safe on the roads at global scale. We use real-time telematics and motion sensing technologies along with multi-faceted machine learning algorithms and user-facing mobile products in order to reduce and prevent unsafe driving and behavior on the Uber platform.
The Safety & Insurance data platform team is responsible for ingesting processing and serving data that powers a large number of Safety and Insurance products. We work with petabytes of data to produce realtime and offline data sets that power Safety/Insurance ML models, realtime safety services and KPI's for measuring the safety products.
What will you do:
- Work on building a single source of truth store for any safety signal on the platform across lines of businesses (Rides, Eats, Freight etc)
- Develop systems for manual and NLP based auditing and classification of data
- Build data pipelines and ingestion/processing services that power, monitor and help debug Safety ML Models and KPI's
- Build human in the loop classification system and tools leveraging ML models and manual audits
- Work with partner teams to deliver long term shared goals.
- Provide technical leadership to more junior engineers on your team.
- 3+ year of experience in building large scale product or data systems
- Detailed problem-solving approach and knowledge of algorithms, data structures, and complexity analysis.
- Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science, Physics, or Mathematics, or related field
- Experience coding with C++, Java, Python, or Go
- Experience with developing, debugging, and shipping software products on large code bases that span platforms and tools
- Experience with Software Development processes such as design, planning, implementation, maintenance & documentation
- Demonstrated experience working collaboratively in cross-functional teams
- Passion for learning new technologies, domains, and challenging the status quo.
- Experience with production-quality services, deployment, monitoring, and reliability.
- Deep experience in general backend engineering practices micro services architecture and distributed systems.
- Experience working with big data technologies like Hadoop, Hive, Flink, Airflow and Spark
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber