Engineering Manager II - Uber Eats
About the Role
Uber Eats is the fastest growing food delivery platform in the world and over the last year we have doubled our revenue! Our Uber Eats team is helping to redefine on-demand food delivery for a new generation. With Uber speed, professional delivery partners, and partnerships with the world's most beloved restaurants, we are bringing convenience and happiness to people one meal at a time.
As Uber Eats continues to grow in size, reach, and complexity, so too will the product strategy and solutions needed to support the business. The Eats Discovery group is responsible for helping eaters find the food they want quickly, accurately, delightfully. The team's mission is to craft a reliable, personalized, and delightful discovery experience for all occasions. As the world moves towards increased adoption of delivery services, we believe that effortless search & discovery system will be one of the biggest product differentiators in the years to come.
Checkout some of our work here - https://eng.uber.com/tag/eats-discovery/
In this role, you'll be working closely with colleagues across Business Development, CommOps, Operations, Engineering, Data Science, Product, Design, Research, and Marketing to bring your ideas to life.
What You Will Do
- You will be an Engineering Manager on the UberEats Discovery Group, helping build the best in class Search & Discovery experience that enables users to seamlessly find what they are looking for.
- Providing consumers with recommendations to power their home feed as well as search results.
- Create an ecosystem where eater choices are dynamic, personalized and optimized.
- You'll manage an engineering team that owns the backend, and the data science and machine learning algorithms that power feature sets such as the eater home feed, browse experience, search results, menu personalization and recommendations.
- 5+ years of experience in software development
- Experience in partnering with product and program management teams
- Outstanding technical skills (backend engineering, object-oriented design, data structures and algorithms): Uber managers can lead from the front when the situation calls for it.
- 3+ years of people management experience, managing engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Computer science, Math, Statistics or related field
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, along with ability to explain complex technical concepts and analysis implications clearly across different audiences and varying levels of the organization
- Great management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for a team and every one of its members, delegate intelligently, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and transparent feedback, help team members grow in their careers and deliver results
- Demonstrated success in identifying and prioritizing business questions, and using quantitative techniques using available data to deliver solutions to address these questions
- Strong data analysis, problem solving skills, critical thinking, attention to detail and bias for delivering results.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple competing priorities
- 3+ years of experience in Applied ML (Recommender systems, Search, Ads, Content relevance etc.)
- Demonstrated track record of cultivating strong working relationships and driving collaboration across multiple technical and business teams
- Ability to take a project from scoping requirements through actual launch of the project
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and management to collect requirements, describe software product features, and technical designs
- Knowledge of large dataset storage systems like HDFS (+Hive) and data distribution systems like Kafka
- Infrastructure scalability knowledge or experience
- Data pipeline experiences: batch offline data and real-time data pipelines.
- Experience shipping high-quality product features on schedule.
- A willingness and curiosity to learn both the systems and domain in which you will be solving problem statements
- A great teammate and owner- willing to take on ownership of the systems, and think about operations, maintenance and reliability of his/her systems
At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 10,000 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
Uber is proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing this form.
Uber is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Europe, Middle East & Africa
United States & Canada
Life at Uber